Should I Upload A Place For My Neighborhood

I live in Philadelphia, which is a “Place”. I also live in Spruce Hill, which is a neighborhood. However, on iNaturalist, Spruce Hill is a “Custom Boundary” whose borders are a box instead of what Google shows as the borders of the neighborhood. For uploading a “Place”, I see nothing for a neighborhood, and thus am unsure if I should add Spruce Hill as a child “Place” of Philadelphia, or if I should live with the box custom boundary.

3 Likes

it’s up to you. for me, the biggest benefit of having an actual place in iNat is that you can subscribe to the place and get notifications of activity in it.

others might appreciate having an iNat place so that they can create an iNat project, or maybe to create a checklist, or maybe just to have more accurate boundaries.

i wouldn’t create a place if you’re not going to use it and if you don’t think anyone else will use it.

5 Likes

I think i’ll go for it, then. These are my stomping grounds and it seems like there’s a few fair observations here!

1 Like

Is there an easy way to create that kml file for a place? I was trying to do one for my city, but I had to draw a bunch of lines and kept messing up and then just kind of gave up because it felt like a huge learning curve :P

1 Like

What I did was use Google Earth Pro and draw a polygon. I then right click on that polygon, Save Place As, and make sure to set to .kml.
For Spruce Hill I used the border that Google Maps gave. I’d recommend using those Google-based administrative borders

3 Likes

if your city is Atlanta, it looks like folks have already set up various versions of the place: https://www.inaturalist.org/search?q=atlanta&source[]=places.

if you don’t like the boundaries defined within iNat (or if you’re trying to define another place), it’s quite possible boundaries are defined in other existing data sets. these might provide some ideas of how to get such boundaries:

3 Likes

Thank you @BrythonLexi and @pisum ! I am going to make sure again there is not one for the City of Lawrenceville, GA and then try to create!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.