Should subspecies inherit conservation statuses from species?

I’m confused why the domestic rabbit, an invasive subspecies of the European rabbit seems to have all the conservation statuses from the European rabbit. I put the domestic rabbit down as least concern, but the list on the taxon page includes everything from European rabbit as well. Is this as intended?

1 Like

Also true for varieties – see the domestic swan goose, listed as vulnerable because of the status on the parent species.

1 Like

Meadow Jumping Mouse as a species is a Least Concern, but two of its subspecies – New Mexico and Preble’s – are federally listed and thus their location data on iNat is obscured. I believe iNat accurately reflects the different statuses of the species as a whole vs the vulnerable subspecies.

But I can see in some cases the status in some populations can get carried over into other populations where it does not apply. An example is Aoudad (Barbary Sheep) which as a species is considered Vulnerable in its native rage but also in the introduced U.S. populations, where that status really does not apply.

1 Like

Currently, yes. We don’t have functionality at present to make exceptions for descendent taxa (or geographic places), so that would be a new feature.

Have you found a manageable workaround in the European rabbit case? I see the global status at the species level has been removed.

1 Like

Someone else changed the European rabbit status, but it does seem to do the appropriate thing now – not obscure pet rabbits.
The domestic swan goose is still a problem, but I’m already over budget on feature requests…

2 Likes

It would be ok for “natural” subspecies but artificially selected subspecies should never get the protection status.

1 Like

What about Establishment means? I’m gathering data on introduced species, but the feral pigeon can’t be marked as Introduced even though it’s the introduced subspecies.

1 Like