Show an alert when creating a new taxon or synonym that's in use elsewhere

Platform(s), website

URLs (aka web addresses) of any pages, if relevant:

Description of need:
When creating a new taxon, a common mistake would be to overlook an existing synonymy or an inactive taxon (same name) on iNaturalist. Similarly, when adding a synonym, a common mistake would be to overlook a bona species (same name) or a synonymy with another species. In addition, avoiding to go “back and forth” with taxon changes would be highly desirable.

Feature request details:
It would be super to get an alert window, hinting at these cases. Specifically:
(1) when creating a new taxon, alert me if that exact name (1a) already exists as an inactive taxon or (1b) exists as a synonym with another species, which should be within the same subfamily / tribe or if the species part of the name (1c) exists linked to another genus name within the same subfamily / tribe.
ref https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/new
(2) when creating a new synonym (or trivial name), alert me if that exact name (2a) is already set as a synonym to another species, which should be within the same subfamily / tribe or (2b) is already listed as a bona species, which should be within the same subfamily / tribe.
ref https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/1/taxon_names/new
(3) when creating a new taxon change, alert me if these names involved have been used in previous taxon changes.
ref https://www.inaturalist.org/taxon_changes/new
These could be simple warning windows popping up, which should not stop the user from doing it anyway. Thank you for considering.

Great idea! I really do believe that through alerts and helping users better understand the point of iNaturalist we can really make it a better place.

One possible re-work of this for the actual people who would have to do the work:

If potentially it was to troublesome and hard to create an AI to review all of that (which I doubt) it could simply send you a catch-all method when editing a taxon to prevent mistakes.

1 Like

Strongly agree with this suggestion. There have been several times I’ve created a new name only to realize I could have reactivated an inactive name afterwards.

For suggestion 2, this already shows up when you edit a common name (e.g. https://www.inaturalist.org/taxon_names/285813/edit ) so it shouldn’t be hard to reuse this code to create an alert during name creation.

There is already a pop-up which tells you if a taxon is already part of a drafted taxon change when you try to create a new taxon change for that taxon. These alters would be quite similar to that.

2 Likes

@loarie could tell us for sure, but in general I think it is not a good idea to re-activate a previously inactivated taxon. Such taxa are usually inactivated as part of taxon changes (often very old ones), and I’m guessing re-activation would create conflicts with the taxon change history. Also, the previous incarnation of the name may have had a different intended scope (circumscription) than the proposed new version.

I think it will always be cleaner to use existing or newly-created taxa for new taxon changes, even if old inactivated versions of the name exist in the database.

2 Likes

That would be good to know for sure because I thought we were supposed to reactivate and update if the name already exists in the database. At least one person told me to do this a few years ago, maybe loarie. Assuming I’ve done things right, I have been annoyed that those inactivated names we are supposed to update are somewhat hidden as I have accidentally created duplicates because of that. It could get really messy if there are multiple versions of the same name in the database.

2 Likes

The system already seems to enforce only one active record of a name at a time with the same parent taxon (if not within the same Kingdom). Given that design, I think it was expected that there could and would be both active and inactive versions of a name. And for that reason, it may also be by design that the inactive ones are not made easy to find.