Silliest thread ever

Had you not pointed it out, I might of missed that error . ;-)

Using “of” instead of “have” is alarmingly common among native English speakers, at least in the US. I suspect you’re right that you have to be a native to make that error. We natives are all illiterate to one degree or another.

5 Likes

It is at least common enough for me as a non-native to know this one :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

To be fair, even native speakers/writers make mistakes, or don’t express themselves well.

3 Likes

I’ve only heard “word salad” in English applied to valid words that don’t make sense together. I’ve never seen it used when mixing up letters.

4 Likes

I have German from Swiss days.
But I have never heard word salad used in English (that be like the Haarsalat hair conditioner, that still makes me queasy) Vice versa avoiding using mist in anything to do with food for German speakers.

PS always check Google first, Diana. It is used, by psychiatrists for severe schizophrenia. Nothing as benign as the German use.

@elpatitojuan2 do tell - how many languages before English for you?
I chose ‘surprisingly not perfect’ since that is the best option you offer us.

Since iNat is international I am often intensely aware that someone I write to may be using English for my benefit. But learnt, say French at school. While actually speaking a third language at home as their first language.

2 Likes

That’s basically my levels too. (no offense to the frog people).

5 Likes

What??? Now there’s even a meme about my grammar skills?!

1 Like

Although honestly it would be backwards, I’m way better at speaking than at reading.

Ooooh… got it…

@That_Bug_Guy

:open_mouth: Wasn’t expecting that.

@sedgequeen

Thank you, your opinions are valuable to me.

3 Likes

One language.

3 Likes

You are right, it may be a different meaning. I’ve generally heard it used when someone is accused of talking incoherently.

2 Likes

This is a fun thread, but I think it’s outside the bounds of what the iNat Forum is for, which is about iNat itself plus related nature topics and I’d like to adhere to that. I set a timer so that this will close in 12 hours.

5 Likes

I did try to squeeze Ivory-billed Woodpecker into the discussion.

11 Likes

@tiwane See? This topic wasn’t ‘‘completely unrelated’’ to nature…

2 Likes

Well out of jokes I think you’re right, twelve hours are enough to clear this topic.

And what your opinion is about the question? Did you vote?

I learn most of what I know by having to explain what I meant the first time I said it. So I am very smart. :grin:

3 Likes

Dude…

It is a valid question. I voted “Ivory billed woodpecker” for the rarity of good English, though come to think of it, I am not sure that was the meaning of that option. I do not feel like I am deciphering code so I think your English is perfectly good. I have anxiety which causes certain obsessive behaviors, in my case overthinking something then obsessively checking it 67 times(Did I do that correctly? Should I change that?). It took me over 15 minutes to type this for that exact reason. It makes me a very slow typer. I also type a bit strangely. Try not to stress over it too much, you are doing fine:)

6 Likes

Yes, the ‘‘Ivory-billed woodpecker’’ is equivalent to ‘‘Native speaker with perfect English’’.

That’s me.

But 15 minutes? I’ve taken several days to write some posts here on the forum (not a joke).

1 Like