Silly names that are actually in use for animals

I guess killer whale is a really bad name, orca is better! literally all name from whales are pretty bad, I know these names came from whaler time, but, these are so unfair

4 Likes

My family and neighbors call it bacon too.

Iā€™ve heard flying rats for bats. Guess it is a versatile name. :-)

1 Like

Tree Rat = Squirrel
Swamp rat = Muskrat
Speed Goat = Pronghorn Antelope

6 Likes

i like the many images this conjures for me

4 Likes

Where Iā€™m working we have Serow which I call Hillbilly Antelope, but Iā€™m probably the only person in the world who calls them that.

5 Likes

also, where I grew up, gonyleptid harvesten are locally called as onion spiders, because they are pretty smelly lol

1 Like

the Sumatran one looks like a tapir X goat X boar X deer which is silly in of itself. Iā€™m pretty sure Hillbilly Antelope and Speed Goats hang out.

1 Like

The Spanish phrase for peacock is ā€œpavo realā€ (royal turkey).

And in some languages, German for one, bats are referred to as ā€œflying miceā€.

I think the Chinese word for horned owls translates to ā€œcat-head eagle.ā€

If you think about it, English ā€œbutterflyā€ is kind of silly-- what do they have to do with butter?

One of my high school teachers referred to House Sparrows as ā€œMcDonaldsLand Sparrows.ā€

And Pete Dunneā€™s Field Guide Companion has a lot of humorous nicknames for birds. The coot, for example, is ā€œBlack Teapot With A White Spout.ā€

3 Likes

It is the same in German - Schmetterling can be translated as ā€˜creamlingā€™. You can find some etymological background on wikipedia or wiktionary.org

1 Like

I actually think a lot of german names for animals would apply here ;-D
We are seemingly not that creativeā€¦

https://www.dailyinfographic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/VlakL8H.jpg

1 Like

well, literally peacock is pea cock

1 Like

Thinking about other animal names in chinese:

Panda is ē†ŠēŒ« which translates to ā€œbear-catā€
Hippo is ę²³é©¬ which translates to ā€œriver horseā€
Giraffe is é•æ颈é¹æ which translates to ā€œlong-neck deerā€
Salticidae are known as č·³č›› which literally means ā€œjumping spiderā€ but is also known as蝇虎 which means ā€œfly tigerā€

the list goes onā€¦

4 Likes

omg, ā€œfly tigerā€ is so cool!
@mira_l_b another tool in the enlightenment of the ā€œnope-ersā€ !

6 Likes

Just as an fyi the ā€œflyā€ actually refers to Diptera rather than the action (that kinda thickens the mystery a bit), but Iā€™m sure google translate already ā€œexplainedā€ that to you ;)

1 Like

yeah, I assumed diptera meaningā€¦ as in ā€œhunter of fliesā€ā€¦ I watch them on my kitchen windowsill, very much stalking and pouncingā€¦ :)

4 Likes

ahhh! that makes sense!

1 Like

weā€™ve always called gulls beach rats

2 Likes

Flap-flap or sea pancake for stingrays.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve often heard of hippos being called river horses.

1 Like