Species to see in a new season!

Yes, I think it’s worth the effort it takes to get to the coast. Maybe, use Explore to see what coastal areas in reach are fruitful to other iNaturalists. Perhaps areas appealing to nature lovers are less densely attended. Of course, if you could swing it for days off, mid-week may be less hectic. Good luck with your quests. ;)

3 Likes

Well, I’m going to Cape May in May, hoping especially to see a Cape May Warbler.

Closer to home, I would like to see the Little Metalmark, because the Riodinidae are the one butterfly family I have yet to see.

Continuing the butterfly theme, I have in mind to go back to Dominican Republic, and would love to find the Haitian Mimic-white (a Pierid that looks like a Heliconiine).

What am I unlikely to find, but sure would love to? I know we have Red Foxes around here, because I once found one road-killed; but they are so elusive I don’t expect to see one alive.

5 Likes

Well, I’m retired, so I get plenty of days off! And yes, I really should get to the coast more - there are several big conserved areas in my own state that I’ve never visited, for one thing.

3 Likes

I would love to actually get a photo of a Berber skink. Seen two, plus one dead. No photos, though (somehow I always struggle with skinks). Don’t expect to get within range this year, however.

I do hope to make it back to Adjara this year, though, which would make Caucasian viper my top target.

Second and third ranked targets on that trip would probably be Caucasian parsley frog and Transcaucasian long-nosed viper.

I’m sure there will be more targets abroad as trip plans evolve - in addition to those already ticked off last week in Lycia :-)

At home in Denmark I would love to see a bluefin tuna, which might actually be realistic, at least if I book a tour, as well as a gray wolf (seen abroad but a Danish one would be special), which won’t happen if for no other reason then that a) they are super rare, and b) I hardly ever make it to their habitat.

Was that three? Guess not, I must be bad at counting ;-)

4 Likes

You’re lucky to see it! If I won’t find it, there’re chances to find Red-bellied racer in the same area.
I’d like to see a wolf, they’re getting more and more common, as do bears, because hunting pressure is much lower in this age, but I’ve yet to see anything, only hear stories on how wolves were here and there. Have higher hopes for a jackal though.

1 Like

There are so many things I’d love to see, it’s hard to narrow down to 4! Hopefully this year I can see (and get nice photos of):

and the bonus that I don’t expect to find (but will still look for):

Good luck everyone!

6 Likes

@erin-816, not sure where you call home but if you ever drop by Ontario, Canada, I’ve got all three species on my land, you are welcome to drop by with your camera :grinning:

4 Likes

Probably not going to happen, but the California Lyresnake is number one on my list for most-want-to-see list of California reptiles. Hoping to see one on my upcoming desert trip.

5 Likes

This will be my first spring/summer of really seriously iNatting, so I’m excited to try to find a lot of local species. If I had to pick three:

1. Rough-Skinned Newt. These are apparently fairly common in my region, so I’ll be actively looking around wet areas to see if I can spot some. More generally I’m looking to meet a lot of the local amphibians! Ensatinas are another one I want to find.
  2. Staghorn Clubmoss. I’ve developed an interest in lycophytes and I’d love to find some of the local species out in the field. I’ve found a few S. wallacei but so far no L. clavatum. Any of the other local lcyophytes would be neat too.
  3. Northern Alligator Lizard. These don’t seem very commonly sighted so this is a long shot, but I’d love to meet one! Failing that, finding some snakes would be neat.

Also, this is less pure excitement and more that I just feel oddly embarrassed, but I don’t have any Canadian Beaver observations yet, despite them apparently being rather easy to spot. There are three lodges fairly close to me so I know where they live; hopefully it’s just a matter of time!

3 Likes

You can make observations of lodges!

1 Like

I’m hoping to get a picture of one of the few Spiny Softshell turtles reported to live in a pond in my area. I don’t think they’re native (likely got there by human means many years ago), but they’re still a really cool turtle and a very rare sight for the pond.

1 Like

WHAT??? Get out there, young lady!!!

2 Likes

Yes, sir! Right away, sir!

(Well, as soon as the snow melts.)

2 Likes

Having moved to a new community about a year ago, I noticed that no one had attempted to catalog the biodiversity on the open lands and preserves, so I set about to do so. I noticed we have an abundance of Acorn Woodpeckers due to the abundance of oaks, but I have had a hard time finding other species of picidae. So my plan is to spend time in wooded areas, sitting and waiting to see if they are about.

4 Likes

Here in South Florida:
The Northern Caribbean Turtle Ant that I’ll be looking for in the Keys.

The Florida Bee-Killer, which will be hunting for honey bees in the fall

The Pike Topminnow in local canals

and very unlikely: The elusive Eastern Spotted Skunk in nearby residential areas.

7 Likes

I’d love to find:

1. Anthoceros Any would be welcome :) For now, I do not know where to start looking for.
  2. Salvinia natans Plan for the summer, when I would be closer to the water.
  3. Buxbaumia viridis Quite a challenge, as I expect.
    And the almost-impossible: Strix aluco
4 Likes

The spotted skunk is the cutest ever❣️

4 Likes

I would love to see a Rose-crowned Fruit Dove, Ptilinopus regina…they should be here where I live, but I’ve yet to see one. And a male Paradise Riflebird, Ptiloris paradiseus. I once saw and photographed through my bedroom window a female and would love to see a male. I live in hope…

4 Likes

It’s tricky to find nudibranchs at first. If you live in California, look where @anudibranchmom has found them, as she finds more than anyone! I’m with you about mountain lions. There are many where I live on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington state, but I’ve never seen one.

4 Likes

Love to see:

Calico Pennant

Rocky Mountain Red Fox
(We used to have several who regularly visited our neighborhood, but I haven’t seen any of them in a while.)

Roseate Skimmer
(Not super likely, but a gal can dream.)

Only if I get really lucky:

Gray Fox

Bonus round:

Flame Skimmer
(I’ve seen exactly one; it overnighted on the screen door of our house the night that the Doctor and I moved in. Good omen.)

6 Likes