Species to see in a new season!

The first viper is soo cool! We’ve just moved from the mountains, they have lots of snakes, but they only get out in June! Ugh, but found 4 new snakes so far, no skink, had no time to visit the spot with the most observations, but will go out tomorrow in a place that has lots of stuff including rare skinks, so if we’re lucky maybe we will see it, or I’ll leave it for another visit.)

1 Like

It is. Thanks. There’s a reason it was my top target :-)

Which mountains? Which snakes?

I’ve seen the skinks in Israel. Fairly common there, but still not the easiest.

Easier than describing ;) https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?d1=2023-05-15&place_id=any&subview=map&user_id=marina_gorbunova
Skinks are in the Red List of the country, not found out of southern Dagestan here.

1 Like

Good luck with them. I’d love to find renardi & dione.

1 Like

Today, I made an attempt to find Marchantia polymorpha (common liverwort). So far the result is an increased awareness of characters of lichen. :grinning: It is still early and the search is fun.

edit: removed extra word for clarity

3 Likes

Got one! Observation for Antennaria rosea

This wasn’t a hard target, but it was fun to be on the look out. Turns out I had observed it once before, but didn’t realize it until someone IDed from genus to species for me last month. Today’s observation is a more typical representation of the species.

2 Likes

I love Rosy Pussytoes! The name alone just tickles me. It’s a species that I’d like to have in the garden, but it’s been preposterously difficult to find plants or seeds. Oh well; gardens are long-term exercises in cultivating patience as much as anything else.

2 Likes

Thank you - I’m in upstate New York. Any chance you’re in southeastern Ontario?

@erin-816, yes I live in southeastern Ontario in the Kingston area :smiley:

I observed Marchantia polymorpha yesterday! It was on a stream bank hiding in moss. I’m guessing that now that I’ve found it once, I’ll keep seeing it again.

I think I’m going to pick a few more new targets out of my local unobserved. Both Penstemon strictus and Centaurea stoebe are common enough that I should be able to find them. In fact, I imagine I have and either passed them by or didn’t get the details necessary for ID in the photos I posted.

3 Likes

I brought an Olympus underwater camera with me on my recent trip to Hawaii which opened a new world for me with getting photos while snorkeling. Everything was new, photo-wise. And everything was on my wish list.

8 Likes

Dang. Goals? Lists? I just thought we were supposed to go out and explore.

This is my first full spring with iNat and my first with a good macro lens so I get new stuff on every trip now. And I’d say that 95% plus of those are species I never heard of. A big part of the fun is just checking them out afterwards.

That’s also why I like to enter new stuff one entry at a time. I like to enjoy the thrill of discovery in little sips.

Here’s one I discovered last week that I had should have guessed was out there but I was shocked when I came across one:

7 Likes

As floristically diverse as California is, it is really hard to find mushrooms there – the climate is so dry, and the rainy season (such as it is) is winter. Now that I’m in North Carolina, we’re in the hot season, and having ample rainfall; so this place just seems to be bursting with mushrooms! I’m taking the opportunity to expand the Basidiomycete portion of my dynamic life list.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.