Spring life you're most excited for?

Those of us in much of the Northern Hemisphere are getting ready for spring to melt away the snow and bring a host of new plants, animals, and other life back to our areas. Is there anything in particular you’re excited to see again (or for the first time?) when it all starts returning? Any particular iNat observations you want to record?

I think I’d like to take a closer look at the early blooming flowers like daffodils, tulips, glories-of-the-snow, and violets and pansies, and hopefully get a few RG observations of them (though I have to admit, I am more of an autumnal flower guy). I also want to finally get an eastern bluebird since I’ve been trying since last year when I started iNatting to get a decent photo of one. I’d love to hear anyone’s advice on what else to look for, especially in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic US states.

8 Likes

To see geese/swans/cranes migration, for quite a few I just fail to see or capture any of them. Other than that — do better than last year, but for now it seems at least as good as last year!

4 Likes

Birds in general but especially the warblers.

5 Likes

Just bear in mind that daffodils, tulips, glories-of-the-snow, and pansies are all cultivated, not wild.

3 Likes

I look forward to seeing more insects and other arthropods again. And all the weeds coming back too.

3 Likes

Thank you, I know they generally are, but I thought there were individuals of each of those species that have descended from the original cultivated populations and therefore are invasive, but technically naturalized wild populations.

I’ll be sure to mark them as cultivated if that is not the case.

3 Likes

When it really warms up, I want to try to find the Italian Wall Lizard, which lives in several NYC parks.

2 Likes

Butterflies!!!

5 Likes

Oh me too, plus a few more salamander species and a timber rattlesnake or copperhead would be really cool to see.

2 Likes

I am practically bursting in anticipation for hoppers! I’m hoping to do a state-wide survey this season and I just can’t wait for the warm weather. There are so many species in the state (MA) I’ve not even seen yet and my treehopper and planthopper count is pretty low so far. I’m definitely looking forward to this season’s iNat observations although I’m afraid I won’t have as much time to get through them all on a daily basis.

I’m also looking forward to spiders, lacewings (for @jonathan142), and all the tiny critters like springtails/mites/and the aquatic stuff.

8 Likes

Same here, looking to add at least 7 new leps by the end of summer .

3 Likes

Spring wildflowers are always the main event of the year for me. Even before I learned of iNat, I could spend hours on a short hike admiring and photographing the wildflowers - from the tiniest and on upward.

6 Likes

Don’t forget the Trilliums! They mostly smell awful, but they are so pretty.

5 Likes

I’m just excited for the trees to have green leaves again so it doesn’t look so brown!

4 Likes

Wildflowers – mainly terrestrial orchids (Calypso, Corallorhiza, Platanthera, etc.) but also other natives. Since I joined iNat last year, I’ve learned an enormous amount about the orchids native to North America (which I am very grateful for) but am just starting to learn more about the other native flowers. :)

8 Likes

I have seen a lot of these at Jones Beach on Long Island.

2 Likes

The flowering of fruit and nut trees is always a treat. You mentioned Mid-Atlantic states, so I am thinking of the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC. I was struck by the Chinese characters for the name of the city: 華盛頓. It is phonetic, pronounced hwa-sheng-tun, but the meaning of the characters can be translated “a time of abundant flowers,” which I took to be a reference to the cherry blossoms.

4 Likes

Bees. I also still haven’t logged a Cerulean Warbler in my search areas.

2 Likes

Me too! There’s so much to learn but so little time…

2 Likes

Don’t forget the insects that visit the flowers. :blossom::honeybee::beetle::ant::bug::cricket:I’m eager to see bees and wasps and hope to record even more species this year. Sometime it would be great to see a leaf cutting bee in action.

5 Likes