Storing feathers

May I ask a question for everyone who collects individual feathers: How do store your found feathers? Do you pack each one individually? How do you label them? How do you avoid that the feather is pressed too hard?

Thanks for your answers!
Chris

1 Like

Brief guide to cleaning and storing feathers: https://www.featherfolio.com/blog/guide-to-feather-cleaning-and-care

3 Likes

Oh, that’s very interesting! Thank you!

But unfortunately, it doesn’t look so nice to keep them in plastic bags. I would like to present it more beautifully. Any idea?

1 Like

You can frame them with either a dark or light back ground as shone here: https://www.hometalk.com/28694712/q-what-to-do-with-feather-collection

You can arrange them like flowers with the green foam in a decorative container, or drill appropriately sized holes in a prepared(stained and/or coated) piece of wood. These would require dusting unless a clear cover is also used. A wooden cheese plate with glass cover might work well.

Displaying away from direct sunlight will reduce fading.

2 Likes

Not to rain on everyone’s parade, but a helpful reminder:

" Feathers are beautiful and remarkable objects. If you find feathers in nature, please appreciate, study, photograph them, and leave them where you found them. Under federal law, it is illegal to take them home. For more information, see FEATHERS AND THE LAW."

But I occasionally pick up feathers, usually feathers of the Northern Flicker or Steller’s Jay that I find under our bird feeders. They’re beautiful feathers. I don’t think a small feather collection is going to draw much attention.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @taralapu!

Absolutely correct for all United States folks. Generally, wherever you are in the world, please follow the guidance of your local governance and never prioritize collecting anything at the expense of the health or well-being of the population you are collecting from. For those of us that do collect things we aren’t technically supposed to: don’t flaunt, diminish the impact, or otherwise act irresponsibly with your items and please take all opportunities to explain good naturalist practices to anyone with whom you share what you’ve collected.

3 Likes

Thanks for the welcome! :-)

Of course you are all right - the law must be observed!
I’m simply fascinated by the beauty of the feathers and I’m happy when I find a blossomed bird feather on my walks from time to time.

I really like the idea with the frame. Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.