Sync observations across devices in Seek

I think that you should be able to sync data between devices in the Seek application. This would be beneficial because as it stands now, switching to a new phone causes you to lose all your observations and data, and I’m sure people would be more motivated to go out and make observations if their observations were more permanent.
People have suggested using the iNaturalist app instead of Seek so that data is saved, but I think that the intuitive UI and gamification of Seek is a lot more enjoyable, and switching apps would also cause me to lose my current observations.
Does anybody else feel that this feature would improve their experience of Seek?

Welcome to the Forum! Don’t forget to vote for your own feature request!

4 Likes

I approved this feature request and meant to add some clarifications right afterward but got distracted. Sorry!

Here’s a previous statement I made about this kind of functionality.

As noted, Seek is really focused on privacy and not sharing information. So it’s unlikely we’d sync between devices if “sync” means that if you had Seek installed on two different devices they’d both instantly sync the same observations (and achievements) between them.

For the specific situation @jacobpants mentioned - getting a new device and wanting to transfer your existing observations to it - I think some sort of manual backup option is more likely. You could choose to back up your observations to some cloud storage and then, when you install Seek on your new device, you could download those from the backup. One issue, of course, is that Seek is built for privacy and iNat not storing your information, so uploading all this to iNat’s servers would be a bit antithetical to that.

What I think might work is just making sure Seek data is stored in backups of devices. iOS devices already do this. If you back up your iPhone/iPad to either iCloud to your computer and restore your new device from that backup, your Seek observations will be part of that backup. I recently lost my iPhone in San Francisco Bay and, when I restored my new phone from that older phone’s backup, all my Seek observations were in it, so in my experience it worked well.

I think doing this for Android is a bit more tricky (we’ve explored it a bit) but I’d love to see that happen. It’s a bummer to lose your observations just because you got a new phone.

5 Likes

Maybe some option of manually downloading and uploading a file with observations to a new account on you new device? Without storing it somewhere else

1 Like

Ağustos 2020 den beri Seek kullanıyorum. Android bir telefonum vardı. Yeni bir Android telefon aldım. Ne yazık ki eski gözlemlerim eski telefonumda kaldı. Keşke birleştirebilseydim.

1 Like

If you backup your Android device to Google Drive, your obserations should part of that backup, so if you move to a new device and restore from your Google Drive backup, they’ll come along with it. It’s worked so far with a small number of observations.

2 Likes

I’ve just successfully transferred my Seek user data (observations, challenges etc.) from an old Android to my new Android using the Helium app (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup). Although Helium appears no longer able to transfer entire apps to the current Android versions (it hasn’t been updated since 2019), it is capable of successfully transferring the app data in isolation. If anyone would like details of how I transferred my data, let me know and I’ll post them here. Obviously, YMMV on your devices, account etc. so no guarantees

2 Likes