The category of "cultivated" is problematic for plants in urban landscapes

I still don’t quite understand the cutoff.

For example, if I gather seeds, then throw the seeds down somewhere, and they germinate, are those “planted”? In this case, I distributed the seeds, but did not plant them.

What if I carefully plant the seeds in a wild area, but they germinate on their own? I planted the seeds, but didn’t plant the plant.

In order to truly be unambiguous I think the documentation would need to specify whether planted is meant to include the planting of seeds, and if so, whether it is meant to include the casual distribution of seeds.

disagreeing with that threshold is fine

It’s not that I disagree with the threshold, it’s that I think a simple binary (yes/no) field is insufficient to record the sort of information necessary to make the notes of an organism’s wildness or lack thereof actually useful.

At a bare minimum I think the data’s integrity could be improved if there were at least an option to leave the field blank, and that this were the default option (with perhaps the option for users to change it to default to wild, perhaps after reading some documentation explaining exactly what “wild” means.)

Hi all, this conversation has gone around in circles for a while now, and I’m not sure anything productive is occurring here. If folks want to propose specific feature requests based on the discussion here, such as changing the wild DQA from yes-no or yes-maybe/unsure-no, then please start a separate discussion.

See also these affiliated topics:

And a reminder that if you’re feeling annoyed, consider stepping away from the discussion before responding again.

Here’s a link to the forum guidelines. You get a special badge for reading them. ;) https://forum.inaturalist.org/guidelines

11 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Should I tag city trees as captive?