The OTHER seasons

Wiki has an article on it, but with no clear cut explanation.

My husband proposes “liquid winter” for when it’s New Year, but everything is melting and “rain season” for when in May subway is submerged.

1 Like

Here are two explanations of “Indian summer”, one from my friend and one from his great auntie.

My friend: It should be called white man’s summer. You guys made that s^*t up.
His Auntie: It is hunting season. The first hard frost kills the flies and other bugs. Then you can shoot the deer. When you cut the meat to hang it to dry there are no flies to poop on the meat. It is before the time that the meat freezes and never dries. It is cold at night but warm during the day.

2 Likes

I heard “Indian” = false/lying in this context. Similarly, “Indian giver” is “a person who gives something to another and then takes it back or expects an equivalent in return”. Not flattering uses of language.

This meme is frequently in my Facebook thread with the arrow in different spots. I would say “Second Winter” is the current conditions in the mountain west.

“Hail of Destruction” is not an understatement, by the way.
2016 hail storm caused 350 million US$ of damage - https://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2016/08/23/colorado-springs-hailstorm-caused-3528-million-damage/89206288/
2017 hail storm caused 2.3 Billion US$ of damage, including totaling my car - https://www.cbsnews.com/colorado/news/denver-weather-history-hailstorm-may-8-2017-colorado-mills-mall/

7 Likes

I don’t have a name for it - but we are in mid-summer and it is bleddie cold for Cape Town, only 20C inside. We often have cold and / or wet weather for Christmas. Including one year with snow on the mountain tops! Reminding us, way down South, next stop Antarctica (only a 5 hour flight for a champagne picnic. If visitors don’t know what to do with their money - not impressed that our mayor found that a good way to promote tourism!)

Or maybe Fourth Winter. It was in the 50s here in Denver just a couple of days ago.

Also, that list left out two very important seasons: Snow Repair and Road Removal. (All credit for those goes to writer Emma Bull, who was describing conditions in Minneapolis. Having lived in both places, I say it applies just as well to Denver: you groom the ski slopes and tear up the streets.)

I lived through those two storms as well; the news articles don’t do justice to the reality. 2017 wasn’t notable for someone finding a softball-sized hailstone, it was that there were so many of them!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.