The weird photo crop on the iNaturalist app

I am new to iNaturalist and I think it’s pretty cool so far.

However, my photos always get cropped when I upload them and there doesn’t seem to be a way to click to see the full photo. Am I doing something wrong or do I have to consider this weird crop when you I take a photo?

welcome to the forum :)

Can you please post some screenshots of what you’re referring to so we can get a clearer sense of the issue

2 Likes

An extreme portrait or landscape photo will be displayed as a square in the grid. With other words if the bird is not exactly in the centre, it will be cut off from view. Thus only blue sky. The full photo will be shown but reduced to a maximum of 2024.

1 Like

Sorry I did not explain it well. I don’t have a current example because I deleted them all and when I post a new photo I crop it weird so that the thing I’m photographing (mushroom, caterpillar, etc) shows up in the photo since only the top half (or so) is shown

Ok so that cropping only applies to the thumbnail if that makes sense. Your entire photo is still there, it’s just that you need to tap it to see the full thing. For example, here is a photo I took that looks cropped on the app:

But now, when I tap on that photo, you’ll see I get the full, uncropped thing:

Does this answer your question?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.