Third Party Collection Vouchers?

Someone just added a collection voucher and DNA sequence to one of my observations. This is nonsense and impossible. There is also no obvious way for me to fix it. Why can someone add a voucher to an observation that is not theirs? This seems very problematic.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/10181

I can’t tell if this is a bug or a major design flaw.

1 Like

Just click on them and choose “delete”, it’s not a bug, you can see who added those.

4 Likes

@cooperj FYI

2 Likes

Apologies for that. I programmatically added several thousand fields to my records. It relies on having the correct iNat observation numbers, and in this case a number (just one I hope) somehow got changed when preparing a CSV upload file with the 3,800 changes. I checked the target records initially but this change to a number crept in at the last step.

However, I should add that I find it odd that people can add observation fields to other people’s records. In this case I would have preferred an error saying “you do not own the observation record”. But I guess there are good reasons for allowing that.

2 Likes

Tags can only be added by the observer, but observation fields can be added by anyone unless the observer opts out in their account settings.

If you’re interested, I could help adapt your script to check that the observation belongs to you before adding fields.

4 Likes

They are all done now, but I will do a post-import check.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.