Tiny saffron finches from Brazil used for fighting rings around the world

Super disturbed to read about this. I cannot understand why people want to see things killed so badly…especially tiny songbirds?!
An Illicit Trade in Brazil Is Sending Tiny Songbirds to Their Deaths - Yale E360

4 Likes

There was a recent news item about a fighting cock who killed his handler with the blade tied to his foot.

5 Likes

Wow! I had not heard that story… Murder most fowl? Fighting cock that killed owner with three-inch knife to appear in court in India — RT World News Thank you for sharing!

Wow! This is unbelievable! I mean, collecting wild birds for the pet trade is one thing, but having bird fighting rings for little tiny finches in just… Unthinkable. Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the cassowary incident.

1 Like

What “cassowary incident”?

when I see thing like that, I understand why nature try to wipe-out us with coronavirus and other pandemic viruses. thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Ah, sorry, this got grimmer since I last looked: someone way killed by a cassowary in 2019. The only other recorded case is described by wikipedia so:
" The first documented human death caused by a cassowary was on April 6, 1926. In Australia, 16-year-old Phillip McClean and his brother, age 13, came across a cassowary on their property and decided to try and kill it by striking it with clubs. The bird kicked the younger boy, who fell and ran away as his older brother struck the bird. The older McClean then tripped and fell to the ground. While he was on the ground, the cassowary kicked him in the neck, opening a 1.25 cm (0.5 in) wound that may have severed his jugular vein. The boy died of his injuries shortly thereafter."

The article does not state the destinations that these finches are transported to, so I’m gonna go with them remaining in the country or general region. Honestly a public education campaign here that could work would be to humiliate the buyers of these birds as people by turning the thriving local boxing / MMA / wrestling/ other pugilistic sports scene on them. You’d have to be pretty chicken, pun fully intended, to make tiny birds fight for your entertainment.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.