Top 3 observations in 2022

I was lucky to be part of many memorable wildlife encounters, so it is quite difficult for me to choose 3.

I have already mentioned a group encounter with a python and and incident with a snake down my trousers here, so here are some different observations (which happen to be all lifers, too):

1. Tai-yong Keelback (Hebius boulengeri)
    That’s a bad but good enough for iNat. Basically this is one of Hong Kong’s rarest snakes, very elusive, restricted in its range, and has very specific habitats. The night we found it it was raining with occasional lightning. We probably hiked up and down the mountains for over 6 hours. I was lagging at the back trying not to slip, so all I heard in front of me was the raucous cheering from the rest of the group I was basically tagging along with. That was indeed a precious night, but man was it exhausting.
  1. Deroca sp.
    A moth that is basically transparent. Been wanting to shoot this one for a while, and it turned out to be one of the first subjects I shot with my new camera setup!

2. Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)
    Another top observation due to the circumstances in which it was observed. I was in Chicago to visit and catch up with a dear friend of mine, who I haven’t seen in years. We braved the windy shores of the lake and spent time just looking at the ducks and gulls that were swimming around.

8 Likes