Turn off captive observations by default in the app

I’m moving this to the Feature Request from the Bug Reports forum after it was pointed out to me that this is a known design choice. That post is here: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/discrepancies-between-range-maps-on-website-and-mobile-app/13495/3 .

Basically, the iOS app displays captive observations in the range maps by default, which greatly obscures/skews distributions for anyone looking for distributional information in the app (e.g. when deciding if a species that one is uploading is found in that region).

Screenshots comparing the range maps on the app and the website are below. The additional observations from Arizona and Europe are of captive observations. The species is endemic to Baja California Sur.

I would support that. I don’t want to see captive observations in an observation map.

Good call, will fix for the next iOS release (currently in internal beta, but it’s a big, complicated release so I’m going very slowly).

2 Likes

Added an issue for Android here and reminded Alex about it now that 3.0 is out, although part of me wonders if it might backfire in situations where a user observes common garden plants and they don’t see any nearby on the map. However, in my experience those users are often not looking at range maps for suggested IDs.

EDIT: whoops, looks like it’s working in iOS 3.0, at least in default view. If you tap on the map, you’ll see the casual obs.

@tiwane I’m glad there’s progress on this! I’m seeing the same thing as you are in iOS, the default view is zoomed in to the non-casual (wild) observations, but if you click on the map the casual observations are still there.

1 Like

OK, this should be working for Android as well, so I’m closing the request.

1 Like