Type of spiders that feed on midges

Hello.

Can you tell me what type of French spiders, apart from the Salticidae, feed on midges of the Sciaridae family?

Wouldn’t any spider, if provided the opportunity to actively hunt, ambush, or have one trapped in their web, feed on a Sciaridae fly?

3 Likes

Well… I was just asking the question because I don’t know if all spiders are interested in Sciaridae

Most spiders have webs and will eat everything that gets here, spiders aren’t group-specific, they choose by size and safety.

Perhaps the larger sized ones wont be as they would be too small to be detected and considered a meal.

“Most spiders have webs and will eat everything that gets here, spiders aren’t group-specific, they choose by size and safety.”

OK, and among non-web-weaving spiders, do all species also attack this type of midge?

“Perhaps the larger sized ones wont be as they would be too small to be detected and considered a meal.”

It is partly for this kind of eventuality that I asked the question.

It is impossible to be absolutely definitive about the behaviour of all spiders. The answer is “We don’t know. Maybe.”

1 Like

You were answered it above, spiders of different size will prey on different insects, sciarids are too small for many spiders that don’t build webs.
Please use quoting option.

sciarids are too small for many spiders that don’t build webs.

OK and among the other arthropods, are there also predators of these midges (if possible, which did not escape from my terrarium)?

Do you mean fungus gnats? If you mean you’re trying to eradicate them from your terrarium, I’d recommend something like BTI (also called mosquito bits), which is a species of bacterium deadly to things like gnat larva. Using sticky traps for several weeks might also help. If possible, allow the first several centimeters of soil to dry out, as fungus gnats are heavily reliant on moist soil to reproduce.

1 Like

the problem with the bacteria and the glue is that it will turn against the arthropods that I put there on purpose, right?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.