Umbrella project

Please fill out the following sections to the best of your ability, it will help us investigate bugs if we have this information at the outset. Screenshots are especially helpful, so please provide those if you can.

Platform (Android, iOS, Website): website

App version number, if a mobile app issue (shown under Settings):

Browser, if a website issue (Firefox, Chrome, etc) : chrome

URLs (aka web addresses) of any relevant observations or pages: https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/uebung-6-ui19

Screenshots of what you are seeing (instructions for taking a screenshot on computers and mobile devices: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/):

Description of problem (please provide a set of steps we can use to replicate the issue, and make as many as you need.):

Step 1: I give the criteria to get all the projects fitting the requirements (perfect)

Step 2: however, if two projects share the same location, only one of them is shown on the map (for instance I needed to add one time Zurich city and one time Zurich canton to have both the projects shown on the map

Step 3: thanks for your feedback

1 Like

that’s not exactly true. they are both shown on the map. it’s just that the place polygons, observations, and labels overlap. here’s an example of a test umbrella project that i created that shows the overlapping:

this is 2020 by itself (note the couple of stray dots outside of the polygon in the NW):

this is 2019 by itself (note the stray dots outside the polygon in the E / SE):

personally, i don’t think this is a bug exactly. the umbrella project map design just didn’t really anticipate multiple component projects in the same place (or else purposely chose not to more elegantly handle that, for simplicity), i think.

what would your proposed solution be? do you just want both labels to be visible / not overlapping? or do you want something more than that? (even if that’s all you wanted, i’m guessing it would be a lot of effort to make something like that happen, especially considering you’ve already found a reasonable workaround for the problem in your case.)

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t believe this is a bug, it’s just how the flags behave, I believe out of simplicity as @pisum surmised. Feel free to make a feature request if you have a suggestion for how situations like this should be handled.