Uploading photos after uploading an observaton

The way i normally record an observation is i upload asingle photo with the identifying details first…then go back and add more photos later. I never really figured out how to do it anyother way. But lately when ive uploaded the additional photos, ill go back and see the additional photos gone. Why is this and how can i fix it?

1 Like

will need more details about the disappearing photos to try diagnose what the problem there is, but re

here is a brief video tutorial I made recently for another user that shows how to upload all your pics at once in the upload screen (assuming you’re using desktop)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TZkbCTriATL_HBrAJeqWG_DieMUcRkp6/view?usp=sharing

5 Likes

Thank you! I have been doing it the hard way. I never took the time to figure it out. Funny that it is so much easier on the app.

2 Likes

Whenever I want to post pictures on my phone that I took a long time ago I have to use the website rather than seek because seek will crash after scrolling though a lot of pictures. Uploading to the website works fine on my computer but not on my phone because whenever I tap on the map (or any other data entry point) It zooms I’m on it and after I’ve done what I needed to do, I can’t zoom out and the only way I can get out is to reload the page. In order to post something through the website on the phone, I have to post a picture without a data, location, and identification and then add the later.
I don’t have to do this very often and I’m not really sure it isn’t just me or my phone’s fault but it is a related problem.

1 Like

What a great video! Thank you so much for making it. Very helpful.

2 Likes

I agree, the website is not adapted to the smartphone interface browser for adding observations for the very 1rst time w/out a minor workaround.
It is the process of initially adding the location the first time to your observation post, as it will zoom out to what would be viewable on a desktop, but not adapted, nor viewable to the smartphone window, & yes, you have no choice but to cancel the upload completely.
However the workaround is to add your observation, details,etc & then save it as you are doing.
Next step is to edit the saved observation, go back in, and at this time you are able to accomplish adding the location without it zooming back out on the smartphone browser window.
A minor glitch/ step to take, but it then adapts to your smartphone browser window & allows you to add & complete your observations from your phone, which I find very convenient.
The “iNaturalist app” which is different from Seek app, which has it’s primary function w/it’s AI assisting with IDing observations w/out being logged into iNaturalist acct.
The iNat app will upload your photo, location, and time, which are recorded with each of your observations in the iNaturalist database. I provided links at bottom of this post where you may download from Apple or Google Play. It works quite well for adding observation photos for posting from your phone, locations, details, adding to projects, etc. You also may input your own geo locations & it is geered toward the smartphone interface.
I sometimes use it, however my preference is the iNat internet website to do this, as I am able to view the full bigger picture & functionality of the iNat site that the app has limitations with.
So it’s not your phone. :-) And it’s not you, the user. For larger numbers/quantities of observations to upload & post, the desktop computer is the way to go.

GooglePlay iNaturalist app for android
Apple iNaturalist app for iphone

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.