Using iNaturalist with Students, Especially Remotely

With so many educators forced to teach students remotely due to the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic, I’ve seen some chatter on Twitter about using iNaturalist as a way to do some fieldwork education remotely, so I thought I’d start a thread here for educators (or anyone else) to share their ideas, experiences, resources, and best practices for using iNat with students.

A note for educators: please read our Teacher’s Guide before using iNaturalist with your students, it contains advice, best practices, and ways to avoid common pitfalls.

We also highly recommend that you familiarize yourself with iNaturalist before having your students use it. By far the biggest indicator of success when using iNaturalist in the education space is that the educator knows how iNat and its community works, and that they curate and watch their students’ postings. If you come across any issues, ask for advice here and/or to email help@inaturalist.org. We also have some extensive help pages listed on the left side of the Teacher’s Guide.

Please stay healthy and safe, everyone.

31 Likes