Vandalism help pls

I noticed some Troll has marked a lot of my observations as cultivated even though they are obviously wild. I only noticed by coincidence, it nearly succeded.
How can i prevent this?
How can i get i notifications if someone flags my observation as cultivated?
How can i see who did this to talk to him/her?

Best Regards
Johannes

1 Like

You can write to help@inaturalist.org if you’re sure this behavior is intentional, but first try contacting the user and ask them why, they may think your observations are in captivity based on photos or even accidentally marked them so on id page. Click on (1) in DQA where they voted and you’ll see the username.
You don’t get any notifications, just check your list of cultivated organisms once in a while, it may be changed when notification system will be reorganized, but for now that’s the only thing you can do, revote those obs as wild.

4 Likes

When only one person doing this you can simply mark it as being wild and it will be enough for observation to be not casual again. If you need to find all your casual observations:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?quality_grade=casual&verifiable=any&user_id=jf920
For example here:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/95669120
You can see down next to “Organism is wild” a “thumbs-down” and “1” next to it and name of user who marked if to point on “1”. You can mark it as “thumbs-up” there and it will be not casual again.

4 Likes

Are you sure this wasn’t done automatically? If most observations in an area are cultivated, iNat automatically marks new ones as cultivated. This can be counter-voted in the DQA if the observation is actually wild.

5 Likes

Yes, there’s a user who did it and some species that are native in the area and growing wild from look of the pictures.

4 Likes

Thank you for the replies.The observations were not automatically marked cultivated, it was a user who i already suspected. I had asked him out about it and im still waiting for a reply. I really doubt this was done by mistake though because ony many observations it was really obvious that they cant be cultivated ones. Maybe there should be a feature that protects against things like that like notifications or advanced search functions. Thanks williammcfarland for voting against the cultivated flags.

3 Likes

I think many users often conflate “cultivated” with “non-native”, which leads to incorrectly flagging identifications of non-native but wild plants as cultivated. This has come up in other forum discussions.

15 Likes

Some of your recent observations are located in Fasangarten. I know that’s the name for a whole district/suburb, but maybe someone could mistake it for e.g. a botanical garden of sorts and come to the conclusion they are garden plants = cultivated?

I’ve posted a good number of observations made at gardens and in my experience it helps to use notes on observations to clarify. For example, I may add a note: “This plant came up on its own, maybe from seeds that a bird dropped in this area.”

8 Likes

The person who did this didnt reply neiter to me metioning him in comments nor per PM. Umforunately he startet marking some of my new observations again as cultivated. Even worse i found wild observations of other people in the area that were marked cultivated by him. I can search my own observations for cultivated ones, but is there a way to search for observations of other people that were marked cultivated by a specific user? There needs to be a way to clean up that mess. I guess ill have to write an email to the iNaturalist team.

5 Likes

Flag the user as well, maybe. It will let everyone know about it whenever they encounter the user. Is it?

2 Likes

Yes, report them!

2 Likes

Only one person, not “them” btw

That’s what I wrote.)

2 Likes

In English, “them” is also used to refer to a single person in cases where you don’t know their gender and therefore aren’t sure if it should be him or her.

7 Likes

I contacted the emailadress above on 03.10.21 but they didnt reply.

1 Like

Had no idea :)

1 Like

Unfortunately it started again. This has turned into some sort of systematic bullying. Im really frustrated with this situation. How can it be that noone from the forum or from iNaturalist staff can / wants to help in this situation? Things like this relly take the fun from contributing to iNaturalist.

Did you send the email to iNat-help?
Block this user.

1 Like

Mark your observations as “wild” when you upload them. Then this person’s “not wild” vote won’t have any effect, unless and until a third person votes it “not wild.” But before you do this, make sure that the organism is in fact wild by iNaturalist’s definition and that you did in fact contact help@inaturalist.org.

4 Likes

do contact help.
But I wonder if it is an innocent misunderstanding of what iNat means by ‘wild’.

The primrose for example is in a city, not in the countryside.
Wild to me and iNat, but not to that person who doesn’t understand?