Viewing my own records of endangered species

On La Palma where I live, the Canary Large White is classified as ‘endangered’ but is fairly common. I understand the need to blur records of threatened species to other users and the public, but when I look at a map of my records it would be very useful for me to be able to see them accurately placed. Is this possible? Thanks

1 Like

There is a feature request for this.
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/view-true-locations-on-maps-for-observations-with-trusted-hidden-coordinates/2568

5 Likes

since you have fewer than 30 observations of the Large White, you can use the (old) Edit Observations page and its search feature to see the true locations of the observations: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/pk-lapalma?utf8=✓&q=&search_on=&quality_grade=any&reviewed=&identifications=any&captive=&geoprivacy=&taxon_geoprivacy=&place_id=&swlat=&swlng=&nelat=&nelng=&not_in_place=&taxon_name=Canary+Islands'+Large+White&taxon_id=109509&day=&month=&year=&order_by=observations.id&order=desc&rank=&hrank=&lrank=&taxon_ids[]=&d1=&d2=&created_on=&site=&tdate=&list_id=&filters_open=true&view=map

or you could download the observations and map the private locations using your own mapping tool of choice.

2 Likes

Also, how could you document a nest or den?

If you think this species is unnecessarily obscured, i.e. it faces no threats from poaching but is rather endangered due to habitat loss / disease / anything where the public knowing it’s location won’t harm it, please create a flag on the species with your justification for unobscuring it and curators can examine and potentially unobscure it. There are many species where the obscuring does nothing to protect the species.

I know this is peripheral to your question, but could solve this one particular problem.

3 Likes

Can you please be more specific about what issues this brings when it comes to making an observation on iNaturalist.

Other observers wait a few months till the birds have flown, then post their obs when the risk is history.

1 Like

Many thanks thomaseverest

Many thanks pisum