Visualize ecoregions as map background

Platform(s), such as mobile, website, API, other: All

URLs (aka web addresses) of any pages, if relevant: N/A

Description of need:
Having a way to look at observations based on ecoregions rather than geopolitical boundaries improves understanding of data, and would help to spot outliers that may be misIDed.

Feature request details:
A similar feature request (https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/add-us-epa-ecoregions/10307) was rejected because of the load it would put on the iNat infrastructure, but I think I may have an alternative. What if instead of making every ecoregion an iNat maintained place, we could simply toggle the background map from geopolitical<->ecoregion?
In other words, with the click of a button, go from

to

(please excuse my terrible rough cut presentation here - I’m just using online tools for a mockup. Ecoregion data map from https://databasin.org/datasets/68635d7c77f1475f9b6c1d1dbe0a4c4c/)

If this was available, we’d be able to visualize the observations in ecoregions, but not incur the load of managing them all as places.

There has also been this request.
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/implement-standard-marine-places-for-the-worlds-oceans/1458

2 Likes

you can do this in your own custom map: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/in-pursuit-of-mappiness-part-1/21864#want-another-example-in-arcgis-online

1 Like

So would their be similar benefit with the marine places just to have the visualization?

If I was putting together a map as a final work product, this is great! But when I’m actively trying to do cleanup IDs in real time, I don’t really want an 8 step process (even if they’re easy steps). I also want something that directly interacts with the iNat platform (i.e. I can click the dot to go to the observation).

1 Like

If you’re going out of iNat to make custom maps you can make maps of any sort.

That’s not exactly user-friendly though, and many (if not most) users would have no idea how to do it, or have the necessary software either.

A simple toggle on the map (same as the species ranges and AOI layer option in the existing iNat map) would be way to go in order to make it user friendly and accessible.

4 Likes

that’s why i linked to a tutorial that explains how to do it, using free tools.

you really would only need to set it up once, and then you could just refresh it to get the latest data.

if you want something more complicated like this, you can also make this happen with a little coding. feel free to adapt this web map to incorporate whatever ecoregion map layer you prefer:

…

it’s nice to have stuff that’s made to suit whatever whim you have, but frankly, i think this kind of thing is sort of a niche request. so if you really want it, i sort of think you will only get it if you make it yourself.

6 Likes

I think this means I haven’t made a compelling enough argument!

I grew up in south central Pennsylvania, not far from a crossroads of Americana, namely, where the Appalachian Trail crosses the Mason-Dixon Line (not far from Gettysburg):

When I walk that section of the trail and crossover from Pennsylvania to Maryland, nothing changes (which is why they need a sign to mark it).

To really appreciate what “home” means ecologically, to understand what’s native vs. introduced, to recognize when an observation is unexpected, I need to migrate my thinking from “Pennsylvania or Maryland” to “Ridge and Valley or Blue Ridge”:
That’s difficult when the site reinforces through visual display an arbitrary boundary that was settled in 1767 by surveyors resolving a land dispute. It’s when I cross those ecoregion lines that I ought to see changes, not the state line.

Learning about things like ecoregions and the effective 100th meridian has been one of the best results of using iNaturalist for me, and I’d like to see all the users on the site learn about them and be able to utilize that knowledge as well.

11 Likes

I very much disagree that it’s a niche request. I’d argue that it’s actually very strange that a platform that is based on ecology and species ranges doesn’t have an ecoregion overlay option in its basemap.

The only real issue I see with it is that there are now so many observations that they occlude the map until you’re zoomed pretty far in. At that point an ecoregion map isn’t terribly helpful (unless you’re looking at only a narrow subset of observations, like your own or those for a particular species) since ecogregions don’t have hard borders and the ecotones between them can be broad.

The linking of a tutorial is nice, but even with that most people won’t be doing it, it’s not running on the iNat platform, and that’s only good for whatever hardware you set it up on. I, for example, use iNat on three different computers (home, work, and travel) and two mobile devices. A tutorial like the one you linked only really applies to one of those devices, unless I want to replicate it on the other two computers, and then go through the steps to make it run web hosted so that I can access it via a mobile device too.

A lot of folks only use iNat from their mobile devices, so for them a tutorial approach like that isn’t relevant.

Personally, I use iNat data for my area outside of iNat often, usually in ArcGIS, as it has conservation uses for us, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

Another advantage of having an ecoregion overlay option is for users to get a better understanding of their area and the differences they may see in it. One of the stated goals of iNat is to facilitate a greater understanding of and interaction with nature, so this fits perfectly with that, and it’s a bit surprising that it wasn’t already implemented.

8 Likes

I add all my Cape Peninsula obs to this project - where we are asked to add the ecoregion. Scientists KNOW where the invisible lines are, I don’t.

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/habitats-s-afr

Ecoregions are relevant to iNatters. Political and historical boundaries are practical, but not relevant to biology. Think of the ‘Scramble for Africa’ and how it splits people thru their common languages.

4 Likes

I think it would be helpful and better than nothing but not as complete as having an actual place as a filter.

it’s not that i don’t understand why some folks might want to see observations in context. i just don’t believe that a large portion of the iNat community will benefit from having ecoregions specifically built into the system, especially considering the cost to implement.

you have to have at least the standard map with political boundaries, streets, water bodies, etc. as part of a system that uses location at its core. the topo lines and the alternate aerial view are useful, too, to help place an observation accurately, especially when there are no streets, water, etc. nearby.

but ecoregions are just a nice-to-have.

also consider that the ecoregions that you might find useful aren’t necessarily the ones i might want to use. maybe i’m in the US, and i want to use the level IV EPA ecoregions. or maybe i want to look at things at a higher level II. or maybe i’m working worldwide, and so i default to the level III-equivalent WWF ecoregions… or should i use Nature Conservancy’s adjusted ecoregions (which claim to fix a few problems with the WWF set)?

maybe i’m a botanist in California, and i don’t care about EPA ecoregions and instead want Jepson’s bioregions so that i can align with their keys, etc.

or maybe i think that ecoregions are outdated now that USGS’s Ecological Land Units exist. (personally, i like the ELUs, since they show where urban land cover is.)

which region set(s) do you add to iNat?

…

just for fun, i added a new “ecolandunit” view to my web map with a USGS ELU overlay and a pop-up that will return the USGS ELU details when you click on an observation, as shown below, based on https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNat_map.html?view=ecolandunit&taxon_id=47727&defaultzoom=2 :

…

the tutorial shows how to do things in multiple tools, including ArcGIS Online, which is cloud-based. so you can set something up on your computer and view it later from another computer or mobile device, as long as it has an internet connection.

or you can use my web map (or your own adaptation of it), and that’s also available on whatever device you want to use, as long as it has a web browser.

4 Likes

Interesting, I will definitely take a look. One thought I had is to let zoom detemine whether you look at the Level II/III/IV Ecoregions (just like you get more detail on other map features when you zoom in), but obviously iNat would need something that works globally, so I would think WWF or Nature Conservancy options might work - I’m not going to be upset about one set vs. another.

2 Likes

ecolandunit link would not load with colon

the link is fixed. i also updated the map to show Ecological Facet (a more detailed unit), along with Ecological Land Unit, and reformatted the pop-up a bit so that you can click on either EF or ELU to get more details.

it’s worth noting that the USGS service in some cases can return ecosystem information (similar to ecoregion), too, but i haven’t implemented that (yet) because it would take more time to study how that works than i’m interested in devoting right now. but folks are welcome implement it and make a pull request in the GitHub repo if they want to take a stab at it.

1 Like

Also adding the Freshwater ecoregions would be a useful addition as well, especially since not all of them line up with their nearby terrestrial ecoregions.

2 Likes

Out of votes, but supporting. Reminds me of when I wanted a way to find unknowns along coastlines.

1 Like

i implemented this just now. the extra ecosystem info should show up for the US, South America, and Africa. the map now also shows an overlay with the USGS’s color-coded representation of the Ecological Land Units.

…

by the way, here’s how the area near Gettysburg, PA, looks, with an extra USGS Hydro overlay turned on to show streams and maples shown as green pins:

compare that to:

6 Likes

@tiwane

Hello, iNaturalist Forum participants.

A case for creating Ecoregion places in iNaturalist

The concept of “native” vs. exotic plants has been coming to the forefront of people’s minds more and more in recent years, as people realize that most plants with which they are familiar in the built environment, right down to their lawn grass, and nearly every plant sold in Big Box stores, are not native to the Americas and do not benefit the local ecosystem at all. Ecosystem support starts with native plants that are, in turn, utilized by the local insects that co-evolved with them, which are, in turn, utilized by other native fauna. This truth has been helped into the public consciousness by luminaries such as Benjamin Vogt and Doug Tallamy, and many advocacy and education groups such as Wild Ones, Southern Grassland Institute, and so many more. The word is finally getting out that ecosystems are in trouble, nationwide, and direct action is now required to prevent ecosystem collapse in many places. Many average property owners want to help, but good guidance and “how to” information is lacking in many places. They don’t know where to start, and many give up.

In diving deeper into the concept of “native,” many are coming to realize that “from the United States” is not good enough for providing true ecosystem support locally. Some “natives” are really just “less exotics” when placed in your yard; “natives” are the plants that truly support ecosystems, as I’m sure you are aware, but LOCALLY NATIVE plants are the very best for ecosystem support, experts agree.

Getting the public to buy into the concept of locally native, and to participate, is largely dependent on education and a consistent message. The general public is “native curious,” but people generally do not have a good way to recognize which “native” plants are “best” to plant in their yards for local wildlife value. They do not have any idea where they could acquire them; people are used to simply going to a Big Box store and buying plants. Also, people can be quick to turn off to the discussion when there are “differences of opinion” on what is “best”. Adding to this problem, learning about native plants can be overwhelming and exhausting. For best acceptance of the concept of localized planting for ecosystems, it is a requirement that the decision making and acquisition of plants simply be easier. For ecology’s sake, it would be best if the information that is disseminated is as correct as possible for the individual’s ecosystem. But how does one define the “local ecosystem” for a particular property, and then identify and purchase plants from that local ecosystem?

I faced this issue firsthand when I started a full ecological restoration of my residential yard last year. I bought plants at the local University plant sale marked “native” and later discovered that they are native to the state, but native to the opposite end of my very wide state; they were not native to my area at all. I purchased a “highly endangered” native, only to find out its native range is a very small spot in another state, far to the south of my city. I also purchased “nativars”, which I later discovered often do not have much value for wildlife because they are significantly different than the straight species. Finally, I purchased seeds from a well-known, respected native seed provider; while the species are, by most accounts, correct for my area, the individual plants that provided the seeds were adapted to a place many states to the northwest of my city - it is possible that the plants grown from that seed might not support my local ecosystem as well, as a result, or might not thrive in my local conditions.

These issues drove me to want to restore my property to exactly what ought to be in my location, using plants that are already locally adapted. As you can imagine, I discovered that there is virtually no information available that provides this information. There are historical records of plant collections, but they are cataloged by political boundaries. Thus evidence of a particular plant might have been collected in a certain spot in my county 100 years ago, and thus that plant is marked “native” to my county, but it is very possible that that plant was actually found in a different “ecoregion” from that of my property, which brings me to the concept of “ecoregions.”

Based on the exceptional work of J.M. Omernik, the EPA established Ecoregions which are likely to have common flora and fauna. The EPA says:

Ecoregions are identified by analyzing the patterns and composition of biotic and abiotic phenomena that affect or reflect differences in ecosystem quality and integrity (Omernik 1987, 1995). These phenomena include geology, landforms, soils, vegetation, climate, land use, wildlife, and hydrology.

These boundaries are not political in nature, nor are they traditional places with names. They can be right next to each other, in the same political boundary, but highly distinct. Ecoregions are the reason there can be no “recipes” for planting natives for ecosystem support that will work in all places.

I would argue that Ecoregion Level IV boundaries are important enough that they should be part of the fabric of iNaturalist and not a project or place at all. I understand that may not be easy or realistic, but I hope to convince iNaturalist to take up this issue.

Why try to isolate observations by Ecoregion? Because:

• it will provide a highly nuanced understanding of local ecosystems
  • it will become obvious what organisms are highly associated with that Ecoregion, and perhaps are NOT associated with immediately adjacent Ecoregions, or are less so
  • it will help us to directly begin to restore properties within the Ecoregion with a level of exactness not currently available to the public
  • the floral and faunal composition of an Ecoregion will be observable over time, which can inform on climate change, habitat loss, and the need for informed restoration
  • determining what exotics are found in an Ecoregion can lead to the development of best practices for their eradication in the Ecoregion, and open the door to development of policies and incentives for their reduction
  • knowing the location of seed-bearing populations of identified natives is a valuable resource for propagating local ecotypes rather than shipping in seed and seedlings from elsewhere (which is currently the most utilized method.) As stated above, seed from outside the Ecoregion is derived from plants that are not as well adapted as those in local populations, and may even have characteristics that make the plants less valuable or, potentially, not valuable at all, to local fauna
  • Seed from local populations can be aggregated before dissemination, leading to more genetic diversity in local populations, and thus, supportive of the ability to adapt as conditions change
  • Groups that “run in front of the bulldozer” to save native plants, and then work to re-home them, could collect the plant in its original position in iNaturalist, and then be able to offer plant tags that share its original conditions and Ecoregion profile, resulting in better placements and a higher survival rate for their efforts
  • All of the above will make it easier to start localized native plant nurseries that provide the best plant options for the Ecoregion
  • Having nurseries that provide appropriate materials on a large scale will help municipalities make appropriate plantings on public land that are highly likely to survive without care, even in the harshest environments.
  • Having local nurseries that can make it obvious that plants are locally native, sourced from local seed, will allow members of the public to choose plants that directly benefit the local ecosystem.
  • Having detailed knowledge about the plants of the local ecosystem and the ability to direct the public to local nurseries that provide this plant material will allow groups like Wild Ones to develop planting plans that work for the Ecoregion.
  • Having a reliable local nursery that can provide locally-derived planting material on demand will allow for the development of local native landscaping businesses that thrive because their plantings, by and large, succeed.
  • The more plantings of locally-derived plants that succeed, the greater the support for local ecosystems.

The list of benefits is likely longer than this.

In the interest of providing clarity on the subject, I have devised The 67f Project. I will be giving a talk on this project at Seed Savers Exchange 43rd Annual Conference July 21 or 22, 2023 (to be held virtually), so I’d love it if I could present it as I have fully envisioned it. For that, I will need your help.

The 67f Project focuses on Ecoregion 67f, which is mostly found in East Tennessee, near the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, and which is commonly referred to as “Ridge and Valley” (although true ridgetops are a different Level IV Ecoregion altogether.) A large portion of Knox County, TN (though not all of it) is in Ecoregion 67f. My property is found in this Ecoregion.

I started the project not knowing about the collection power of iNaturalist. I created a spreadsheet, and to it I added plants that were volunteers on my property, were verifiable as known to be native to my portion of the state, and did not seem to have parent sources that appeared to be cultivated. These factors made it very likely that the plant was truly native to my property.

I verified that an interested friend’s property was also in the same Ecoregion, and she contributed information on the volunteer natives she observed in her yard. Through this we discovered that the collection system was cumbersome, and it was time-consuming to make folders for species photos and associate them with the records.

I announced the launch of The 67f Project at the most recent meeting of our local Wild Ones chapter (of which I am now Vice-President.) One of the attendees said “are you using iNaturalist?” I misunderstood, and thought she was referring to how we were verifying that plants were native, and replied that I personally don’t use it because I find it clunky and that the results are dubious. (I now see that the tool has come a long way since my last regular use of it, and I don’t find the website clunky; I will say that the app is not as good as the web version.)

This set me on the path of exploring iNaturalist, and who was using it in our region. That’s when I discovered Will Kuhn and his use of iNaturalist as a way to encourage citizen science in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park as part of Discover Life in America. Will told me that iNaturalist was definitely the way to go to capture the data about native plants in Ecoregion 67f. He created a KML for me, based on the EPA’s map, which I appreciated.

Upon trying to upload the KML and create the place Ecoregion 67f, I received the error “There were problems importing that place: Place geometry contains too many observations to import, Place geometry can’t be blank.” In reading on this Forum, I see that having a lot of pre-existing observations in a new place bogs down the site and has, therefore, been restricted to some extent. I do not know what to do next, so I have turned to this Forum for guidance.

Please let me know what you think of my Ecoregion pilot project, which I think would be highly replicable if successful, and would put iNaturalist at the forefront of this movement, as a source of up-to-the-minute data for a great number of organizations seeking to use these data to move forward the ideal of ecological conservation on individuals’ properties as the right thing to do, and relatively easy to accomplish. iNaturalist may be the key to making the “relatively easy to accomplish” part a reality. This is such a desirable outcome, I would think it would be a no-brainer to incorporate it into iNaturalist, even if it means some downtime while it is put into effect.

I am grateful for workarounds for my project you might offer that would help me move forward with developing a way to harness knowledge to benefit the ecosystem in my Ecoregion, in the interim, while Ecoregion displays are under development. :-)

Sincerely,
Regina Santore, Vice-President
Wild Ones, Smoky Mountains Chapter

3 Likes

Someone in the General forum directly me to an existing place that meets my project needs, but I wish for this post of mine to remain in this thread so that the case continues to be made for formally adding Ecoregions as a hardwired part of iNat, rather than users attempting to make these complicated shapes and implement them.

1 Like