What are the endangered/threatened birds you’ve seen so far?

I usually prefer to see birds in Alberta whenever possible.

1 Like

I get 10 taxa, of which ONE is a bird: Hawaiian Goose Branta sandvicensis (Critically Endangered). But then, I only have 27 bird species in total, as I can seldom get pictures of birds. To see those Hawaiian Geese, I had to go looking for them specifically.

yes, I limited it to aves to exlude the plants, insects, sharks/rays, mammals, reptiles, sea stars, and fish that I had.

I’ve seen several threatened bird species - mostly migratory shorebirds

Bar-tailed Godwit (near threatened)
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (threatened)
Red-necked Stint (near threatened)
Great Knot (critically endangered)
Grey-tailed Tattler (near threatened)
Eastern Curlew (critically endangered)
Curlew Sandpiper (critically endandered)
Black-necked Stork (near threatened)
Sarus Crane (vulnerable)
Red Knot (near threatened)
Nordmann’s Greenshank (endangered)
Black-tailed Godwit (near threatened)
Asian Dowitcher (near threatened)
Flame Robin (near threatened)
Beach Stone-curlew (near threatened)

2 Likes

Here’s mine! They aren’t as rare as some of the others on this thread but I love them all anyway. That Northern Parula had me so curious when I first heard it!

Common Grackle (Near Threatened)
Red-Shouldered Hawk (Vulnerable)
Northern Parula (Vulnerable)
Marsh Wren (Vulnerable)
Eastern Meadowlark (Near Threatened)
Ring-Billed Gull (Vulnerable)
Dark-Eyed Junco (Endangered)

1 Like

Dark-eyed Junco is endangered? I remember when I could hardly go a day in winter without seeing many of them.

1 Like

Apparently it’s considered imperiled or of conservation concern in a few US states. Not so in my state nor in my front yard during winter.

1 Like

I think the only one I have so far is the Black-faced Spoonbill, which is globally endangered. Hong Kong is one of the few places they migrate to for the winter, and is one of the few birds which are protected by law.

EDIT: Ok it seems I have more than one species. The only two I can find so far are

Common Grackle (Near Threatened)
Eurasian Curlew (Near Threatened)

2 Likes

I do not make many bird observations but visitors to my garden include:

• Red-lored Parrot (Amazona autumnalis) which is threatened and protected here
  • Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (Glaucidium brasilianum) which is stable here but listed as critically imperiled elsewhere.

And a lot of very stable everywhere friends.

1 Like

I have seen many a video on some of the extinct Hawaiian birds online so it’s certainly possible, but who has seen a now EXTINCT bird alive? I’d imagine some older birders may have seen extinct bird species?

2 Likes

There’s a separate topic for this.

1 Like

Not including “near threatened”…

Hawaiian Goose (Branta sandvicensis) - critically imperiled
Atlantic Puffin (Fratercula arctica) - vulnerable
Horned Grebe (Podiceps auritus) - vulnerable
Florida Scrub-Jay (Aphelocoma coerulescens) - threatened
Swallow-tailed Kite (Elanoides forficatus) - vulnerable
Wood Stork (Mycteria americana) - threatened

It may just be me, but I find the apparently secure status amusing for some reason :smile: :man_shrugging:
Screenshot (9)

1 Like

Yes, but it is closed: Have you ever seen an extinct species? - Nature Talk - iNaturalist Community Forum

1 Like

You can open any topic by writing to any of moderators.

1 Like

I think this being a thread about endangered/threatened birds, anyone saying they had seen such that later became extinct would be relevant, no?

That said, I had no idea one could ask Moderators to reopen locked topics, so thank you @fffffffff. Do you know if there is a time limit that is recommended? Like if one wanted to discuss something that there was an exact same topic from 3 years ago, would you recommend asking a Moderator to reopen the old topic or is that too old and it is better to start a new topic but link to the old? Are there other factors to consider, like the length of the old topic (some of them are so long!) and tone of discussion, to consider?

1 Like

It depends on a topic and your goal of opening/starting one, if you feel like the old one fits you, who cares how old it is? Probably opening longer ones make more sense as short ones are usually Q+A tipe.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.