What are these birds from the cover of the Sibley Field Diary?

On the cover of the Sibley Field Diary, there are a number of North American birds, most of which I recognize: on the front, a meadowlark, ruby-throated hummingbird, eastern bluebird, and red-breasted nuthatch, and on the back, a green jay, a painted bunting, a red-tailed hawk, a western tanager, an American bittern, an introduced red-crowned parrot, an American oystercatcher, a tufted puffin, a yellow billed/mangrove cuckoo, a short-eared owl, and a great blue heron.

However, four birds have me at a total loss-- two waterbirds, and what appear to be a blackbird and flycatcher. Does anyone know what these paintings are – especially the latter two? I’d love to know what these beautiful birds might be:
Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 8.19.03 AM
Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 8.19.56 AM
Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 8.20.03 AM
Screen Shot 2024-01-14 at 8.20.11 AM

2 Likes

Red-faced Warbler
Black-headed Grosbeak
Wilson’s Snipe
Black-tailed Godwit … maybe

5 Likes

Did you try the CVS of iNaturalist with these illustrations? I wonder what the results would be!

1 Like

I tried it on illustrations in my Sibley field guide using phone app … nailed the warbler and snipe but missed on the godwit.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.