What can iNaturalist do to better support people of color?

I would love to see that happen, though I am completely unfamiliar with the US situation as I am not in the US, but in Australia, and the community I have been making observations in is an Australian Indigneous one. The disparity in health, education and income outcomes between Indigenous populations here and the population as a whole is greater than that in the US. There is no phone reception in this one. Although most residents do own phones that they use when they enter areas of mobile coverage, they typically opt for extremely low data plans because of infrequent use.

Just prior to covid-19 outbreak and lockdown of all Aboriginal communities, I was supposed to be meeting up with the Elders to discuss iNat and my observations with them, I am definitely interested in pursuing this further once restrictions are lifted and have remained in contact with them (sporadically) on the phone.

I appear to be the only iNat user resident in the area so I guess it would be up to me to contact local volunteers or agencies to bring up iNat with - a bit daunting as I am a (non-indigenous, non-Black) POC myself that people tend to be not outright racist but dismissive. This is why I am as prolific as possible on iNat - to build up something of a portfolio first. Do you have something like an downloadable or printable ‘toolkit’ that an iNat user can use to introduce it to a school or agency? I would hate to misrepresent it.

Edit: Not wanting to gripe about it…but I’ve spoken to local representatives of the state dept responsible for environmental protection and parks, which keeps giving me a cookie cutter response to use their state level app to log nature sightings as this is all they will use to make management decisions eyeroll. It appears to have extremely few users, is barely updated and connects to no outside databases like GBIF or Atlas of Living Australia.

On a separate note, here the BLM protest has been adopted as an indigenous rights protest - Australians are marching in solidarity with George Floyd and against police brutality in general, but also against the many Indigenous deaths in custody - a negligence and abuse with many of the same drivers.

19 Likes