What happens if we don't pinpoint a location on the map at all?

Is it still useful for science?

It will take a lot longer to get ID’d because it won’t show up in regional ID searches, so you’ll pretty be dependent on someone seeing it very quickly after you upload it.

It’s use for science would also be questionable as we wouldn’t have it on the maps.

2 Likes

And with “missing location” it would automatically become casual even if the species is correct, which makes it even less useful.

3 Likes

I think the usefulness would be very limited. It won’t be RG as others have noted, and I think most scientists are looking for geolocated data from iNat. I suppose a non-geolocated observation could document some interesting interaction like predator-prey or something that might be useful to someone. However, the likelihood that they would find and use a casual grade observation like this would be pretty low, I think.

2 Likes

Remember that if you don’t remember exactly where the photos were taken, you can add a location with a big “Accuracy” circle. Depending on the data user’s needs, that observation may be useful. And it will stay out of “Casual.”

3 Likes

Thank you all. I thought as much but it is good to get that confirmed.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.