What is it that you love about iNat?

how do you meet people on inat? I’m in a field where there arent that many people who are into nature, so its literally been a dream for me to find someone who likes plants as much as I do :sob:

1 Like

I keep my eyes open for evidence of other people going to the areas I like to go to, and making records that I also might make (clusters of map pins of what I consider to be relevant taxa). Then I find out who they are and read their profile. Then I private message them and say, “I see you also like to go out iNatting is such-and-such a place. I also like to go there. Would you be interested in meeting up to go iNatting together?”

7 Likes

i like this idea! sometimes i see people who seem interesting and are in my area and I want to message them but I’m so worried about coming across as creepy

4 Likes

I love how it has made me more attentive to the nature around me. It is very nice to get an idea of what I see actually is, both the photo recognition that gives immediate feedback, and the real intelligence that helps verify and improve the data.

6 Likes

Maybe a more comfortable option is to attend a meeting/event by your local plant society? Based on observation locations, this might be yours: Native Plant Society of New Jersey

When I’ve attended some events associated with my local native plant societies, I’ve been pleasantly surprised to learn I’m interacting with folks who I regularly see on iNat.

5 Likes

My aunt introduced me to iNaturalist and I have no idea why I hadn’t found it sooner. My experience with it is exactly the same as yours! I have been able to learn more and more about just how many species there are in my yard alone (seemingly basic flies and ants for example), and learning that the one species of butterfly I thought I had been seeing was actually three - and now I’m able to tell the difference when I put my pictures side by side! I also love the fact that I’m contributing to science as well. I’ve even been able to identify some species of insects that I’ve wondered what they were for years and years. I also love the life list features…I’m a list person and get so excited when I see something new! iNaturalist has helped me slow down (even more than I already do) and notice even more of the tiny insects, spiders, mushrooms, etc. that are out there. Nature is amazing!

9 Likes

I saw a leucistic fox squirrel at my grandmother’s house and posted it. People went crazy and one tagged an expert to look at it! It was such a cool moment for me and definitely a big confidence booster!

8 Likes

I can totally understand not wanting to suggest meeting up with folks one-on-one at first. What I’ve been most comfortable doing is going to bioblitzes. I’ve gotten lucky and had people invite me to several in my area, but you can also organize them pretty easily - basically just pick a nice public place and a date, and invite everyone who has posted observations in your general region. People can come, wander around, meet a bit, and make some observations, and there’s not much pressure on anyone.

Another alternative is just to buy an iNat-branded t-shirt and wear it everywhere when you’re in parks taking pics, I’ve run into a ton of surprise inatters in the woods who see my shirt and suddenly feel comfortable enough to stop pretending they were just “out for a walk” and disclose that they were actually crawling around looking for dung beetles, or something :D

14 Likes

I don’t think you need worry about seeming creepy.

1 Like

omg the t shirt :joy: :joy: :joy: thats actually genius :joy: thanks for the tips!!

i actually have been to some of their talks on zoom!

2 Likes

Of course, the depends on your zoom level. The only large areas that really have no red dots are remote parts of the Amazon, the Sahara, and the high seas.

1 Like

Is there an iNat-centric way that you’re able to invite everyone or is it just messaging each person individually and directing them with a link to some external calendar link?

Creating a bioblitz project page is an easy way to do it, and then you can just tag everyone in the journal feature from the project page. Though it might be a good idea to message a few people first to gauge interest and availability before you pick the date :)

2 Likes

I would disagree, Amazon is much more dotted that you’d expect.

I can’t even show it on the same zoom level as Sahara or taiga, as it’s very packed compared to them.

1 Like

To be honest - possibility of learning about worldwide distribution of my favorite taxon. Times are hard for us here nowadays so there are no spare $ for traveling and personal checking on flatworms here and there. On iNat people bringing flatworms on silver plate without need of single $ ;] I’m just average noob without formal education but I did progress since I settled myself as identifier here. There is always work to do and it’s great.

7 Likes

Oh yes of course. Not much options currently for travel, so I look at the open spots in my area/country!

1 Like

The people. iNat is by far the most polite and helpful forum I’ve ever seen.

8 Likes

I agree, the people make it all possible and fun.

4 Likes

I could write novels on this!!

• It made me realize that I can learn new skills. I came into iNat with only some gardening knowledge. Now, I’m able to tell what wild plants I want to allow to integrate into the beds(trilliums, pawpaws, solomon’s seal), as well as invasive ones I want to keep out.

• Most of my observations are in my local area, so it made me realize just how unique and diverse it is, down to the shale and limestone that makes up the hills here.

• As an illustrstor, iNat’s the sort of place I wish I had in the past for when I needed reference photos of an animal or plant, or ideas of what is native to a specific region. Also, having several references allows me to understand how something looks and moves in a 3D space.

• There’s nothing better than to find some unusual insect that I might have never given a second glance before, documenting it, and making someone else’s day when it turns out to be something unique.

• The unofficial iNat discord has been extremely useful for popping on and off for things. It’s also brightened the day of a few older folks I’ve come across when they hear about how many ‘young folks’ are really enthusiastic about nature.

• … for better or worse i’ve become the ‘expert’ on local wildlife in my immediate social circle, to the point that I have to keep reminding people that I have nothing on someone who actually studied this stuff.

9 Likes