What is the size of obscured area?

I made an observation of a species listed as VU=Vulnerable. It falls just about in the center of my largish town, for which I have a Project. It does not, however, appear on my project list. I assume this means it has been obscured to a degree it might fall outside the town boundary of the project, which would make it a pretty big area, perhaps unreasonably large. This is a species that would be useful to be able to list as occurring in the town.

0.1 degrees each way which works out to roughly 22x22 kilometers depending on how close to the equator you are.

5 Likes

Does that mean if that area falls anywhere outside the bounds of a project it won’t display within the project? If so, it would mean that I am unable to record any sensitive species in my Town project.

2 Likes

That is correct. If your goal is to have it appear on the town checklist you can still add the taxon manually, it just won’t collect or count the observations.

But not within the project. It is an intentional design to ensure people can’t work out the location of sensitive records by fiddling with the boundaries of projects until it appears/ disappears.

4 Likes

How does one add a taxon manually?

1 Like

Totally unrelated but where in DK did you live? Almost a decade in Frederiksberg for me, with a short stint in Østerbro.

1 Like

Frederiksberg. Right next to the Forum metro stop. Are you at GBIF?

2 Likes

To the town checklist?
Go to the relevant town page for example
https://www.inaturalist.org/places/ontario-ca

Click view checklist page at bottom left
Expand the add to list at the right, search for the taxon and add.

1 Like

Don’t live there now, back in Canada, and no was not with GBIF.

Funny, yes just around the corner from Forum, one of the small streets off HC Øresteds Vej.

We were in the little triangle between Aboulevard and Rosenorns Alle. Herman Triers Plads.

We were like 200m apart, I was on JM Thielesvej which is the 1st street after Rosenørns Alle

1 Like

small correction: 0.2 degrees. see https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/help#geoprivacy for more info.

2 Likes

This is the observation I made Saturday.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/79989695

You’ll see under the location Details that it occurs within the community-curated area “Falmouth, Massachusetts and coastal waters,” which I created so I could include both local terrestrial and marine species. My project uses this area as its boundary.

I went to to my specific iNat place (https://www.inaturalist.org/places/falmouth#taxon=26036) and manually added Eastern Box turtle. It doesn’t, however, show up in the list. If I try to add it again it indicates that it is already on the list. I don’t understand how it can be on the list but do appear on the list.

1 Like

what you see may be different from what others see, since you’re the observer. if you open up the observation in a private browser window (which by default will show what the observation looks like to any rando), you’ll see the hidden coordinates, etc.

that said, you may want to consider deleting your post above. it sort of defeats the purpose of obscuring an observation if you post a screenshot like that.

… regarding lists, sometimes you just have to wait a few minutes. try viewing the list again, and you should see your turtle on the checklist.

5 Likes

Thanks for the response and pointing out the image issue. I removed the image.

1 Like

That’s what I was trying to get at by saying ‘each way’, but the important point is the 22km.

1 Like

Eastern Box Turtle is a subspecies. The default view is for species level records. There is a filter on the right side to change from species to all. If you do that, you will see it.

huh? that’s even more confusing. the obfuscation box is 0.2 deg x 0.2 deg. the obscured point isn’t in the center of the box. it’s at a random point within the box.

4 Likes

Welcome :)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.