What is your Favorite Lifer from this week?

VERY cute.

I’m visiting family in Sydney for the first time since the pandemic began. I found this enormous mosquito, apparently Toxorhynchites speciosus, on my parents’ Eucalypts.

3 Likes

This week is kind-of starting early, but since my last lifer didn’t really qualify, I am posting this amazing male Rose-breasted Grosbeak. I am not much of a birder and had to look it up to ID it. It perched very near my window, which is right where I sit at my desktop computer. I was amazed:

small

The image was shot through the fly screen, so it is not ideal, but it’s certainly clear enough to ID.

4 Likes

It’s gorgeous :star_struck:. Did it sing for you?

1 Like

I’m amazed that I can still find a new species virtually every time I take my camera outside.
Yesterday my partner and I went on more adventurous expedition, a drive to a mountaintop about an hour away from us, and I found 6 new lifers! Plus a few more that will probably be lifers if I can ever figure out what they were :)

Most of them were not in bloom yet, so not the most spectacular specimens, but I’m just happy to have found them. Here are the taxa:

Serpentine Milkweed (Asclepias solanoana)

Phlox-leaved Bedstraw (Galium andrewsii)

Pink Spineflower (Chorizanthe membranacea)

Flame Ragwort (Packera greenei)

Snapdragon Skullcap (Scutellaria antirrhinoides)

Socrates Mine Jewelflower (Streptanthus brachiatus)

4 Likes

No singing this time, but this species sure can get by on looks alone!

1 Like

Long-footed Lizard, Acanthodactylus longipes, coming to hide under my vehicle beside a sand dune.

2 Likes

Okay I know it’s Sunday and the week has only just gotten started but it’s going to take something truly remarkable to top this absolute mammoth of a mushroom!

2 Likes

Good species for your fairytale list!

2 Likes

It’s on there already! Nice to finally observe something from it.

1 Like

I was going to say just that!

What on Earth??! Can you sit on it?

1 Like

After years of searching, I stumbled upon my lifer Snail Kite this week!

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it would be sturdy enough. This one would certainly have been large enough to fit me though!

1 Like

You should try the next time hehehehehehe!

In fact the snail kite was my lifer some months ago.

1 Like