What is your Favorite Lifer from this week?

Definitely a spot with Cyclocybe cylindracea - there are only a couple of other locations with it in Germany and it doesn’t grow in Poland where I am from :D

3 Likes

So many likes, but nobody told you it’s Actitis hypoleucos instead?

1 Like

I’ll chalk that one up to people sharing my enthusiasm, I guess! I was more conservative in the actual observation and put it up as family Scolopacidae and IDers gave me the correct species.

Now I actually need to observe Tringa ochropus, if nothing else because the French common name is funny (translating roughly as “white-bottomed knight”, albeit with a ruder term).

2 Likes

It’s a froghopper (Cercopidae) f the genus prosapia

Yesterday I was fortunate to be able to meet up with and go out iNatting with a local star - iNatter Sara Rall from New Jersey.

She kindly pointed out to me three great little tiny plants that were all three of them new to me:

1. Blue Forget-Me-Not Myosotis stricta
    medium

2. Piedmont Bedstraw Cruciata pedemontana
    medium

3. Thyme-leaved Sandwort Arenaria serpyllifolia although this one I first saw 2 years ago, but I did not remember that, because it was in fruit then and looked completely different.
    medium-2

8 Likes

This is a Bradley’s Mining Bee that I found close to my home. It is the first iNat record for Ontario and was a bit of surprise because it seems to prefer blueberries which are not found in this area. The bonus was that I managed to get some good pictures. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/155216526

IMG_1155

8 Likes

I managed to somehow get three bird lifers standing in one spot for like fifteen minutes- pretty sure I annoyed my husband with this one, but he knew what he was getting in to when he married me.

Eastern Towhee (technically not the first observation I have of these guys but the first was just an audio recording)

Wood Thrush

Eastern Phoebe

I get unreasonably excited whenever I find new bird species

11 Likes

A couple of lifer highlights from the CNC for me.

First is this cool little diving beetle, apparently Rhantus suturalis, found under dense long grass in a wetland area.

The second are these couple of little nurseryweb spiders, Dolomedes minor. It’s not uncommon to come across their characteristic webs, especially near water, but I’m pretty sure it’s the first time I’ve seen the actual spiders. Two of them within a couple of metres of each other!

11 Likes

All praise to the patient spouses of iNat!
(cues up “Lovesong” by The Cure)

1 Like

The night walk at Tygerberg Nature Reserve on Friday evening gave me a few awesome lifers:

Aurora House Snake (observation)

Namaqua Chameleon (observation)

This awesome centipede which was fairly large:

And last but not least, closer to home I saw my first ever mole cricket!

12 Likes

A lifer of today that would have deserved a better photo. :-( I had to take the photo in an awkward position and it was windy and anyway I suspected something else. Only in front of the computer I realised that it is not Heliotaurus ruficollis, but a Meloidae. My facebook- group confirmed the name and one said: it’s one of the rare species. True, here are only 6 observations of Zonitis fernancastroi.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/158215905

4 Likes

Caspian Tern!
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/158227013

7 Likes

Spring Tree-Top Flasher (Pyractomena borealis)

This is only the third one of these fireflies observed in my region! I should add that it’s not confirmed, but such a unique larva:

Just sitting there inside a bark fissure. Almost like some kind of arboreal trilobite.

11 Likes

My lifer chuck-will’s-widow (Antrostomus carolinensis) was accidentally flushed by a groundskeeper at my local botanical garden, got super lucky with that one!

Also picked up the scarlet leather flower (Clematis texensis), a Hill Country endemic I’ve been looking for for a while for CNC.

4 Likes

Pending showing off cool lifers during CNC period…

So, I cannot resist posting the rat who was so intensely cute waving it’s flower like a flag: Best seen on the video:
https://youtu.be/silR1FjFP1I

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/158697354

4 Likes

Interesting, didnt know these guys looked that that. Kind of reminded me of a trilobite beetle (Platerodrilus) looking to see if any Platerodrilus show on the map in North America, I see there is a couple obs of something that looks like this with people guessing trilobite beetle.

Check out their larval form, because that’s what this is. I so wanted to pick it up and look for its head under the shield but it was moving very slow. Probably getting ready to pupate.

1 Like

Yeah, I did, the ones which are not RG that are listed as trilobite beetles in the US are very likely those or something similar. I was saying it was interesting just since its something I havent seen (Not from North America, have spend some time there but not during a time when I was as into invertebrates). So it was really cool you shared this.

2 Likes

But you don’t need to be from NA, that’s a normal shape for light beetles.

2 Likes