What Kind of Birdfeeder?

If you are always taking pics from the same relative position, you can just memorize/preset the focus manually so the feeder is clear and ready to go (depending on your camera). This means you won’t spook things by pointing a strange camera at them so long.

2 Likes

UPDATE: Yesterday I confirmed the second male Goldfinch at my feeder. The day before I thought I saw a second pair of Goldfinches but could not confirm. One day I also saw a male House Finch. But I moved around so much inside the window trying to find my camera that he left without eating.

My computer is right inside the window. When I’m at my computer I often notice when birds are at the feeder. They tend to vocalize, which draws my attention. But of course they also vocalize from the tree just a metre or two beyond the feeder so I also hear them from there; they are not always at the feeder when I hear them.

Here’s a frame from the video of both male Goldfinches at the feeder; it lasted but a split second. The one on the left was feeding when the other one flew in from the tree. It had been flying around and passing by the feeder. There had been quite a kerfuffle, back and forth. At one point, one of them was at the plants in the garden beside the tree, not really visible in photo. I don’t know which one is the old-time regular and which is the newcomer.

June 8 2024

Male and Female Goldfinches at feeder earlier in day. Photo taken through window, not too good because of the way the sun hit the birds, but I think ID is definite.

3 Likes

Yay! Glad you’ve discovered the joys of watching what the birds are up to at the feeder just outside your window, instead of doing whatever it is you were supposed to be doing at the computer!

2 Likes

There are anti bird strike clings that work on the outside of the window. Amazon sells oodles; none are very expensive, but a few are poor quality.

The first time I had a bird strike a window, it broke my heart. There are three solutions.

Remove the feeder (not desirable for you)
Move the feeders away from the window (not practical for you)
Apply anti-window strike clings ( practical for you and cheap)

I recommend these, I’ve used them for years and years:
https://windowalert.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&msclkid=229e9f2f53c011268ba9f94a90ea7bfc&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Search%20-%20Bird%20Decals%2FStickers&utm_term=bird%20strike%20decals&utm_content=Bird%20Strike%20Decals

I also use others anti bird strike clings, but the Window Alerts are less obtrusive and they lasted very well even when applied to the outside of the window. They are easy to move or remove.

2 Likes

I would highly recommend going to Wild Birds Unlimited. There is one on 4391 King St. East in Kitchener, near where you live, if I’m correct. They sell products (like window decals, etc) that help prevent window collisions. I’ve been to WBU before, and the staff are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Here is some helpful information on the Kitchener store’s website, too, regarding window strikes:
https://kitchener.wbu.com/you-can-make-your-windows-safer

3 Likes

Thanks. I looked at their website a while ago. If I remember correctly, they are not close to a bus route so I would have a problem getting there. This feeder is close enough to the window not to be a problem, if I got by the three foot rule. There is not enough room for the birds to get up speed before they hit the window. Besides, I can’t imagine the birds are anxious to come in this direction.

June 9 2024

EDIT: Now I realize it was probably a mistake to post that picture because the feeder looks further away than it is.

1 Like

Oh, ok - that’s too bad. Totally undertand, though.

No worries, Sarah; I understand what you mean. For several years now, I’ve had a bird feeder at about that distance, and I haven’t experienced a single collision. From my experience/research, that distance should definitely be ok.

P.S. Do you have book “The Joy of Bird Feeding” by Jim Carpenter? It has excellent information regarding tips on all aspects of bird feeding, feeder placement, food preferences, and window safety precautions. I learned a wealth of information from this book; I highly recommend it if you don’t have it on your shelf yet.

1 Like

I don’t have the book but I read the sample available on Amazon. It looks very good but I think most of the information is also available on the various websites of Cornell Ornithology Lab. I subscribe to their Birds of the World.

One items that really interests me is the topic about which birds are in my area and when. Cornell developed a tool for that, but it’s only available in the States. This book was written by the man who started WBU. He is in Indiana. So I figure that book pertains specifically to the US, same as Cornell, though its information can also be extended to similar conditions in Canada.

Also, some bird species travel the entire continent. Consequently, most bird books focus on Eastern or Western North American birds, or the entire continent. The Rocky Mountains and the Mississippi River seem to divide the continent into different areas, and also the Great Lakes. But now I’m getting into biodiversity regions or whatever they’re called, and those are endless. There’s the tundra in the Arctic, there’s the swamps in Florida, there’s the maritime areas all over and they’re all different.

Here is a list of free sources to nature lovers that may be of interest to Ontarians (and others):

Ontario Field Ornithologists
Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas
Canadian Biodiversity Website, put together by McGill University
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, includes eBird for citizen scientists to record observations, and a field guide All About Birds, which I use for ID of sightings and Sound, as well as many other bits of bird info. Their technical scientific Birds of the World is by subscription only, though they are currently offering a free 30 day trial (if I’m not mistaken).

I don’t know if there’s anything specifically about feeders and birdfeeding in there, but Cornell has Feeder Watch projects and lists bird diets, as well as much other information. Cornell’s various websites and iNaturalist combined serve me well, and meet most of my info needs with regards to birding and nature-watching. Conversations like this on iNat are especially helpful.

2 Likes

This morning for the first time I saw House Sparrows at the feeder itself. They had been foraging on the ground under the feeder. I see more sparrows this summer, maybe young ones, but I see a mature male a lot.

So this–the photo below–is what I patched together to make a halo, using stuff I had on hand. I think it looks a lot like your diagram, @joedziewa. Do you think it will work to discourage the Sparrows? Or should it be larger in diameter? That grill is from an old desk fan and it fits perfectly on the dome of the feeder. (I see it’s a bit crooked right now.)

I also have shiny wire if shiny is better. The wires are hard to see in the photo; there are four, weighted down with those shiny links that I got at Dollarama. I needed only one for the end of my cat’s leash but had to buy a pack of six or so, so I still had these left over.

The American Goldfinch and Black-capped Chickadee both visited afterward. I haven’t seen the Sparrows since but it’s only been up for five or six hours.

4 Likes

The wires look like a good distance from places to land to deter them. I think there was less space between wires with the one we had set up, but this looks like a spacing working for others. Small, agile birds like finches, chickadees, and downy woodpeckers can easily navigate narrower, but larger birds might avoid it then. If aesthetically feasible, something shiny on top that would move in the wind, like reflective mylar, will make the house sparrows more nervous about trying to navigate the wires. I’m not sure, just the thought of being behind the wires is enough, but I think the caging on top might provide a landing point for bolder birds to hop down from to avoid trickier navigation.

1 Like

Thanks, @joedziewa. You brought up a point I never thought of about birds hopping down from the grill on top. I’ll keep a lookout on that.

I am also noticing that the goldfinches and chickadees are taking a different route away from the feeder. If they are on the side toward the window, instead of just flying off, they make a U toward the window before taking off. I guess they have to do that to get out from behind the wires.

This morning I saw a male House Sparrow for the first time since putting up the wires. It did not go on the feeder, just picked at seeds on the table below. It made an unhappy sound. I hope that means it wanted to go on the feeder but couldn’t.