What locally-extinct species would you like to see reintroduced?

Aplomado Falcon in New Mexico, let’s try again

5 Likes

I’ve read about Cougar expansion into the Midwest recently, researchers seem to think there’s a decent chance of it.
https://www.americanscientist.org/article/americas-cat-is-on-the-comeback
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0112565
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/oryx/article/suitable-habitat-for-recolonizing-large-carnivores-in-the-midwestern-usa/68BF51A66E2CFDB8CBB0DDEC339539C4

4 Likes

Well, you might not have so long to wait :
https://nowthisnews.com/earth/firm-raises-15m-to-bring-back-wooly-mammoth-from-extinction

3 Likes

Urban pigeons don’t migrate either, I’m curious if Peregrines would have migrated if that wasn’t the case. What happens with reintroduced raptors of other species?

Trumpeter Swans were reintroduced near me and now have a well established population. They continue to winter here instead of on the east coast of the US though, so people have to feed them and worry about ice cover on the lake all winter. It does make it easy to band and monitor them all though.
I’ve seen some speculation about whether they were ever native here in the first place, but not sure how seriously to take it…

3 Likes

i know you said extant but i want the carribbean monk seal back :(

as far as extant, the florida scrub jay. its just not possible though as long as we prioritize the sickening amount of pointless development we have.

6 Likes

in Auckland New Zealand a large scale reintroduction and protection of almost all species of kokopu (galaxias) and other freshwater fish would be awesome as in most areas their once known populations have vanished due to pollution. another one I would love to see is pateke (Anas chlorotis) especially if they managed to outcompete the wild mallard populations.

I would have said grey duck (Anas superciliosa superciliosa) but sadly they seem to far gone…

4 Likes

Yes Mountain Lions and wolves would be amazing to have in PA but not really possible at this point. Maybe a few Mountain Lions? I think Passenger Pigeons and Carolina Parakeets would do well today if they weren’t totally killed off. More elk in the state would be nice too but I don’t think the current herd is expanding much and more burns would need to happen to maintain habitat but that’s not going to happen any time soon.

2 Likes

I don’t believe there is enough food in MS for them, but up in southwestern virginia, I believe it to be a very good place to reintroduce Mountain Lions. Sooooo many deer up there that aren’t being eaten, so they wouldn’t have to bother with a food source, and a lot of the habitat in the higher elevations is still extant.

In terms of my own state, the Eastern Indigo Snake, The lord of the forest.

4 Likes

Georgia boy here. I’d love to see red wolves and alligator gar back in their historic ranges, which encompassed all of my state.

5 Likes

Gaur in Sri Lanka. Maybe even the prehistoric Sri Lankan lions!

2 Likes

Well, there’s a good place to begin. And a good place to begin with mine, too. I currently reside in California. This is the state flag:

Yes, that is a Grizzly. The California grizzly, a.k.a. Golden Bear, was nearly on a par with the Kodiak bear in size. The last one was shot in 1922, and the last sighting of a live one, in 1924. I’d like to see it come back.

Did I mention that I went vegetarian largely because of cattle growers’ attitude toward wildlife?

Cougar Rewilding Foundation – formerly known as Eastern Cougar Foundation – is working on just that.

5 Likes

black-footed ferret and red wolf.

3 Likes

Suburban New Jersey is kind of an overdeveloped hellscape to put it bluntly and man do I wish it wasn’t. I wish Timber Rattlesnakes were still in my neck of the woods (Monmouth County, extirpated in the county, present elsewhere in the state but endangered), but reintroduction efforts for snakes, especially vipers, in a relatively developed area? helluva pipe dream

5 Likes

i do like to imagine DIY reintroductions. if some idiot can get snakes they have no business keeping and then either deliberately or negligently let it loose, then whats stopping that from happening like, in a more productive manner. oopsie i just let loose a bunch of native snakes i was breeding as a hobby… hm. really wish that sort of thing was popular here florida instead of pythons.

5 Likes

Homo sapiens. It seems like Homo sapiens has been replaced by Homo imbecilus in much of the US.

12 Likes

The ones that regretfully cannot be reintroduced: such lichens as Lobaria scrobiculata, for example.

4 Likes

This deserves to be in https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/what-are-the-funniest-comments-on-the-forum/19408 but it’s dead. @bouteloua maybe a revival? (I didn’t want to message all the moderators since that would create a universal notification, every moderator would attempt to check it out and it’s basically like the @everyone on Discord. RIP server.)

Oh I almost tagged everyone on iNat :o
Didn’t know the @everyone text existed on iNat

1 Like

Whether a steady diet is keeping them, I don’t know, I think we’d have to look at historic records from when they were here before re-introduction, Rock pigeons would have been present then, but I don’t think Peregrines were particularly urban at that time?

We have a similar situation with Barn Owls to your Trumpeters in my area, used be relatively common in northern Illinois, but now, do to having fewer barns, and larger expanses of corn fields with no hedgerows, we’ve had no northern breeding populations in the last couple of decades and they are endangered in the state. Adding nestboxes in the southern half of the state has helped their population considerably though. However, I have heard it speculated that they probably wouldn’t have been in the northern area anyway before the settlers showed up (they don’t do well in cold weather) and changed the landscape to accommodate them, the land has changed again, and it is no longer suitable so we are now scrambling to keep them around. Interesting concept.

2 Likes

As a Brit, I would be delighted if someone managed to smuggle some lynx into the country. Of course, lynx are so secretive, maybe someone did it already and we just haven’t noticed yet :-) I would love it if that were true.

5 Likes

The Eastern Spadefoot is the only frog or toad that is listed by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources as an endangered species. However, with the remarkable efforts by the Arc of Appalachia, state and other local organizations committed to habitat restoration, this genus is making a comeback. I think the key to nurturing local wildlife populations is preservation and restoration of the natural habitat. Human encroachment may stifle those efforts, in theory, but we do have control of what we plant in our own yards if only half an acre.

3 Likes