What locally-extinct species would you like to see reintroduced?

I would love to see Grizzly reintroduced to California. Also wolves.

4 Likes

Which County is that particular American Canyon in? In my area, we have a canyon named that, but I donā€™t recall a fire recently.

i highly recommend the book Fire in California. In short, fire is a necessary and good part of the ecosystem, and most California ecosystems thrive and rely on fire. Suppression is simply meddling in the natural order of this process.

Itā€™s Napa County, check the link https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?nelat=38.22603695092091&nelng=-122.2263480596467&place_id=any&subview=map&swlat=38.15493504255152&swlng=-122.283844063696&taxon_id=50988

Napa County. The City of American Canyon is at the southern edge of the county, and a sign on the sidewalk tells you when you have crossed into Vallejo, in Solano County.

Iā€™d like to see Jaguars back in Arizona. The far and few between sightings canā€™t really be counted as a population since all the cats are male and the closest female is well into Mexico.

Also black footed ferrets in my area, but our prairie dog population isnā€™t there to support one ferret much less a population of it. Iā€™ve worked on reintroducing them in northern Arizona, but still having difficulty getting them to hold on in some areas. But they are breeding now so that is a perk.

Iā€™ve done some fish and frog reintroduction work in my area, the frogs arenā€™t holding on that well unfortunately, so far the fish are.

5 Likes

Iā€™d rather bring back habitat and then see what thrives. Bringing back species without habitat doesnā€™t make sense to me.

3 Likes

Sometimes, as with beavers, it is the reintroduced species that rebuild the habitat.

3 Likes

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/wolves.htm#:~:text=Numbers,Eight%20packs%20were%20noted.

ā€œWolf reintroduction caused unanticipated change in Yellowstone**. It rebalanced elk and deer populations, allowing the willows and aspen to return to the landscape. The end to overgrazing stabilized riverbanks and rivers recovered and flowed in new directions. Songbirds returned as did beavers, eagles, foxes and badgers.Mar 21, 2020ā€

4 Likes

Mastodons.

I believe mastodons to be more than locally extinct.

4 Likes

There is a 95 acre Karner Blue Nature Sanctuary in Newago county in Michigan. www.michigannature.org

(Edited corrected website address)

The swans in Michigan donā€™t actually migrate, but travel to the next open water.

I know a park where people were feeding water fowl, including swans, during throughout the year. Started seeing cygnets with fatal leg injuries. People would feed consistently in the same places. Food would sink, that draws in the snapping turtles. The snapper would then wait for little swimming feet. We know that is the natural order of the cycle when humans do not post explanatory signs. Itā€™s not enough to say please donā€™t feed the wildlife.
Same park also had people that would tear down swallow nests in the picnic pavilion and covered bridge. Sad.

Yes, but around 300 mastodons have been recovered in Michigan. I think we still have habitat.

Species reconstitution is much harder than species reintroduction and I donā€™t think itā€™s been successful with any taxon (yet).

1 Like

Have to keep thinking howā€¦

Walrus and caribou for Nova Scotia, although with warming climates Iā€™m not sure theyā€™d ever take hold again.

1 Like

Abaloneā€¦ wouldnā€™t that be lovely!

And, they are making some progress:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/28/science/abalone-ultrasound-reproduction.html

4 Likes

I know this was posted awhile ago now, but if youā€™re still working on the project for river otters here in NM, since the time I was a little kid there was always a breeding pair of them in the south valley (1992-onwards). If the species is still having any problems overall maybe you could help get them possibly moved or home saved as it keeps being encroached upon by the building thats been going on for several years now. I know as of last year they were still there, guess weā€™ll see if they still are as things start warming up.

It seems as if the otters have found their way back to my area recently, as there have been a few sightings! Thus, I have been seeing some salamander sightings a lot! I guess we are just waiting on the bears an cougars now!

1 Like

Self-reintroduction is the best!