What locally-extinct species would you like to see reintroduced?

Caribbean monk seals (but those are extinct already).

1 Like

Would very large and aged subsets of a species count? Before the gold/silver rush caused logging, there were massive trees here and a lot of genetically diverse ones that are now extinct. Iā€™d love to have the original forests with massive old trees back but I donā€™t see how thatā€™s going to be possible with all the human meddling now.

6 Likes

Definitely the American Chestnut. There are still a few isolated trees in my area, but I would love to see them restored to their former glory.

5 Likes

Perhaps itā€™s less of a concern where you live, but after living in California for a few years the idea of adding fuel beneath potential ignition sources and reducing ease of access for firefighters in power line corridors seems to be asking for troubleā€¦ Not something I would have thought about before moving out here, though.

1 Like

Iā€™d really like to see Cape Leopards return to the Peninsula south of Table Mountain in Cape Town, South Africa. That would really whip the now woefully brazen Chacma Baboons near the hamlets and villages into shape!

3 Likes

Totally, I also lived briefly in California and Iā€™m aware this would probably be a terrible idea there!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.