What volunteer work do you do?

I volunteer in my Town in Massachusetts - as a Land Steward (serving to advise our Conservation Commission at least theoretically!), and doing a pilot study keeping an area unmowed to observe native plants and pollinators comparing to the rest of the lovely meadow which is treated like a golf course! I also spend hours observing species within my town, run 9 projects in iNaturalist hoping to inspire folks to get excited visiting our conservation areas and what they might find there. I am committed to finding unusual and/or rare species in my town and documenting them on iNaturalist. I also volunteer with our town Natural History Program that is seeking to pull together all biota data for our town - including data downloaded from iNat, ebird, other sources, paper notes tucked under beds, etc. Things that can be lost when older folks die. Lastly - I am focused on trying to get Dark Sky information and even maybe a bylaw so that we have less light pollution in my town, and work with Town ā€œGovernmentā€ to focus on health and proper management of the conservation lands with the aim to protect the habitat and species as compared to just make it available for human-centric recreation and farming.

4 Likes

Wonderful to read about all the volunteer activities! I have a chronic ill-health condition that limits my ability to go out to do volunteer work, so my volunteering is taking photos in our mountain forest yard when I have the energy and putting them on iNaturalist (also when I have the energy). Iā€™m very grateful to iNat for giving me this opportunity.

7 Likes

3 hours of volunteer work at the Western Australian Herbarium each week and soon to be starting at a black cockatoo rehabilitation center nursery.

4 Likes

Yes, I think a lifeguard anywhere would aways give you a trash bag if you explain that you want to pick trash off the beach.That is to say, any lifeguard who works from an actual lifeguard station, as opposed to just a lifeguard chair.

2 Likes

My biggest activity right now is leading our local Audubon chapter, but as part of that I plan bird counts, litter pickups, etc. We are restoring habitat at a preserve we own - working with NRCS. Weā€™ve installed native plant gardens on the property of our state governorā€™s mansion.

I teach an introduction to dragonflies occasionally for master naturalists or at a local state park.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.