Nodding Nixie
one of the floating Bladderwort species
any new orchid species

Fungi
Violet Coral Fungus
Velvet Blue Crust
Ladder Lichen

5 Likes

Literally anything. I just scratched the black-capped chickadee off my list(sounds strange, I know, but it is incredibly difficult to get a fairly decent photo of one). As far as what lives in my area, I would really like to see a wolverine. Or an owl. Or get a picture of a lynx. I have seen those the exact two times I did not have my camera. Or a timber wolf. I have found shedded fur and paw print, but never the animal itself. I love reptiles, especially snakes, but you cannot find those in Alaska.

2 Likes

Oh yeah! Me too, although I’d settle for Dimetrodon (what’s that big back fin all about?).
Back here on modern Earth, I’d like to see a rattlesnake.
Or one of the rare Euxoa spp only known from two or three observations, like * Euxoa churchillensis
Anything else will do!

1 Like

I had to look that up. :upside_down_face:

Top of the list is a mountain lion. They are sometimes seen in the area wandering through yards. My next door neighbor told me they’ve seen mountain lion prints on the property.

I would also like to see a great white shark. Our Santa Cruz whale watching excursion ended with a side trip to look for them around Capitola where the sharks were known to hang out, but no luck for sharks that day.

Since joining iNat a few years ago, I get pretty excited to notice any creature, even a gnat. :joy_cat:

4 Likes

Timber rattlesnake

Mud Snake

I’ve spent a lot of time in their areas, and found plenty of other snakes there. Just no joy on those two yet.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl:I was excited and posted a fungus gnat on Thursday! It’s been a long winter.

3 Likes

How do you get a picture of those guys? I tried one of my kids magnifying boxes but it just doesn’t stay still. Or I could take a picture of a smudge.

1 Like

Clip-on lens on my iPhone. (And persistence, several deleted shots, a short video, maybe a still grabbed from video.)

2 Likes

i would like to ID a Colombia lewisia someday but that probably will never happen because the taxon is…
1.extremely rare
and
2. not in the Puget trough region that i live in.

I also have a clip-on phone macro lens and I can confirm that they’re awesome for small insects!

Me too and also a glacier bear which I think is the coolest subspecies of black bear, and a cinnamon bear would be fun too, plus any one with the white blaze on its chest, but those are supposedly common in the subspecies by me so hopefully I get to see one of those when I’m on a closer to home adventure.

2 Likes

If I can catch a insect that doesn’t pose, I use cold packs to chill it in a small cup or under a jar lid until it slows down. After I get some photos, they take a moment to warm up and then take off.

1 Like

Any new species of pollinator, especially bees and wasps

The teeny tiny pollinators the perfect size for the ribwort plantain flowers (I got one picture once, and I want more)

A Bobcat

A Raven with an identifiable photo. One flew past my front porch last year, but I didn’t have a camera.

When I was young, and felt like I had all the time in the world, I probably wanted to explore every country at one time or another. Now that I am less-young, and constantly aware that I have but limited time, I have had to pare down the list considerably.

• Gorillas (hence my last week’s post, “Gorillas in Fact and Fiction.”)
  • Birds-of-Paradise
  • Any ratites in the wild

Each of these requires making a specific trip to look for them; I’m not going to come upon them casually out-and-about. So, given that I spend more time casually out-and-about than making expeditions, I will also add that I always love completing a page in my wildflower guide – that is, I check off each lifer, write the date and location in the margin, and when every species on a given page has such a notation, the page is complete.

1 Like

Love thinking about wish list species!!

Possible to varying degrees in my general area:

Ivory Gull, Ross’s Gull, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Gyrfalcon
Any flying squirrel!
Neottia orchid species, and Cypripedium arietinum
Ophioglossum/Adder’s-Tongue Ferns
More milkweed species
Hummingbird moths

And farther afield:

Mountain lion (at a great distance, preferably!), gray wolf, wolverine
Calypso bulbosa and more Cypripedium species, C. fasciculatum, montanum, candidum
Too many birds to name!

2 Likes

Common loon and American woodcock are some birds I would really like to see.

1 Like

hummingbird moth, Bohemian Waxwing (heard one last weekend for the first time), Mountain Lion, Wolverine, Caribou, Boreal Owl

2 Likes

For more global species:
I want to one day photograph and see the Aethia Auklet species that live up in the Aleutian Islands
Lemurs
Spoon Billed Sandpiper
Triprion (shovel headed) Tree Frog species
Hornbills
Podocnemis Species
Oropendolas
Turacos
Komodo Dragon
Ghariel
and way too many other species to count

For more local (PNW) species:
Evening Grosbeak - I have yet to see one
Coastal Giant Salamander
Northern Rubber Boa
Mt. Hood Pussypaws
Cool bog plants
Western Cauliflower Mushroom (I ate it once in the past foraged by someone else, it was so delicious I want to find one for myself!)
Minke Whale
Dalls Porpoise
Giant Pacific Squid!

There are simply too many to choose from!

3 Likes

I found some growing in a potted avocado (grown from seed) our friends left behind when they moved out of state. We bought their old house. The spores must have been in the dirt or compost they used. I delicately transplanted them to another pot because we had to destroy the avocado tree. It was infested with redbay ambrosia beetles. We had record cold temperatures last year. My mom who does most of the gardening here thought the ferns were dead. I held out hope they were just dormant or that some more would come up from spores. However rather than just putting some seeds in the pot as is, she dumped the dirt out. I didn’t notice the pot was missing until some time later. By then she had forgotten where she dumped the dirt. :weary:

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/19558791

1 Like

oh wow! interesting…