1st observation (clicked from):
2nd observation (clicked to):
Description of problem:
Step 1: Go to your first observation.
Step 2: Start clicking through all your observations, adding many of them to the project “Footzoom”.
Step 3: When an observation does not fit the project criteria, skip to the next before it fully loads.
So, what actually seems to be happening is that the observation I click to is combined with the previous one. I know, crazy! I didn’t memorize every detail, so I can’t give a complete description until it happens again. The “double” observation has the photo and identifications from the first one but the observation taxon of the second; e.g. if the first is a Chestnut-backed Chickadee and the second is a Red-breasted Nuthatch, both RG, it would show a photo of a chickadee and two or three identifications of “Chestnut-backed Chickadee” but the observation taxon (or “Display ID”) would be “Red-breasted Nuthatch” and Research Grade. Now, the Community Taxon is the part that is the most mixed up. Because of the observation taxon and the identifications being different, it shows “Red-breasted Nuthatch” as the species, but where it shows all the IDs the whole line is red and it says “0 of 3” because the identifications were all of Chestnut-backed Chickadee.
If I click to the next observation, I get the one after the nuthatch, and if I click to the previous I get the one before the chickadee.
Here’s a list of all the observation parts and which go to which obs, just to simplify this a bit:
Media: 1st observation
Identifications: 1st observation
Observation Taxon: 2nd observation
Community Taxon: Both
Annotations: Can’t tell, they weren’t annotated.
Projects: 2nd observation
Tags: Can’t tell, I don’t use them.
Fields: Can’t tell, they didn’t have any
DQA: Can’t tell, they were both the same
Okay, anyone who’s reading this, don’t try to figure it out until I add screenshots. I can’t remember now which thing was from which observation, so it’s not quite right. I need to see it happen again before I can accurately describe it.
I’ve struck this… and usually when I’m navigating around at a flat out rate… I just close browser window and open a new one, and everything seems to be fine. It is a pain to have to figure out again where you were up to, cos usually you were flat out all over the place!
Having said that, nothing seems to be happening for me at a flat out pace these days, either iNat is as slow as a wet week (image loading especially at the mo!), or I’m on a go slow myself…
All right, it finally happened again. My report is now correct, so treat it as any other.
It happened again, this time an observation was skipped. Here are more screenshots showing the entire “combined” observation.
Yep I’ve seen this. Seemed to be a signal to slow down because the new page couldn’t load fast enough.
These are all your own observations that you’re adding to the project? Have you tried batch editing? That would be much more efficient.
Well, I didn’t think of it at the time. I already finished, but I’ll try to remember that for next time… I usually stay away from the Edit Observations page, so it’s hard to remember that it even exists!
This just happened again, and I can’t edit the original post, but I have one new bit of information:
Annotations are from the 1st observation.
If you go through your observations, the new one will be showing the same sidebar and some parts of the interface as the old one until it gets a chance to reload. This also happened to me when I was adding obs to a project and caused me to accidentally skip half of them because the web page looked like it hadn’t skipped to the next observation when it had. So now when I change something about an ob using that interface I have to reload it to make sure it took, or wait a second, before moving on.
I see the same thing all of the time. Examples attached.