Where are all the plant lovers?

Hi, I’m new to this. I was told when putting in some items to put in a category to hopefully attract more interest and avoid “unknown” because not many are looking for “unknown”. Not sure if you do that but it may help.

3 Likes

Identifiers, all get notified when a comment is added. Which is good if the comment adds info to the ID discussion. Not so much if it is ‘thanks’. Pay it forward by helping to ID, or annotate, where you can. MUCH appreciated!

2 Likes

So how do I put in my identifier and run it? These queries or scripts or whatever are a black hole for me….

2 Likes

copy the URL - then write your iNat user name where mine is

https://jumear.github.io/stirfry/iNat_identifier_stats.html?user_id=dianastuder

Grateful thanks to the lovely people who build the URLs and the code behind them!
I’m a copypasta.

3 Likes

LOL I am more of a beginner than that. I copy the query into a note application and change it, but where do I put it to run it?

1 Like

You put it in the search bar at the top of your browser.

2 Likes

My mom is in both groups. She mostly grows native plants and cultivated food plants. She’s very good at growing plants from cuttings. I feel like she has a tendency to forget about seeds she acquires or collects more often than germinating them. :smile: She’s good at IDs and prefers using books over the internet. She knows a lot but gets frustrated when she can’t remember the name of something. She volunteers for a plant focused nature preserve and gets embarrassed when she is guiding a group and forgets the name of something or later realizes she called something by the wrong name. I tell her using iNat has helped me greatly in learning new plants and remembering the ones I know. I think I succeeded in getting her to post her photos on iNat more often. She still doesn’t do IDs on iNat very much.

4 Likes

That memory thing is so frustrating! I’ve reached a point where every new thing I learn knocks out at least one thing I used to know.

6 Likes

I hear you. Plants for me are really tough … I learn a species one summer and by the next when I see it again I know I’ve learned it in the recent past but can’t dredge up the name. Maybe that’s my brain’s way of preserving my ability to recognize other non-plant taxa that are more relevant to my job (since there’s only so much file space in there).

2 Likes

It was a long time before I could remember the sedge species from one year to the next!

3 Likes

If everyone provided one ID for each observation they submitted, we’d all benefit.

5 Likes

Two please, since an obs needs 2 IDs for Research grade.

4 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Documenting Natural History Pre-Electronics

I’m not a plantless botanist but I’m a lousy gardener. Erratic work schedule; smallish shady yard; far, far too many suburban deer; and I have to admit I hate killing plants even if they’re weeds, which doesn’t make for a tidy garden.

Indoors, though, I’ve got the biggest collection of unkillable houseplants you’d ever want to see. They all go out in the summer, and when I bring them in for the winter suffice it to say I don’t need curtains, since you can’t see in the windows for all the plants. Then they go slowly downhill until they can go back outside the next summer.

Enjoying wild plants is a lot less trouble.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.