Why ID as Life When More Narrow Category Applies to All Photos?

I meet ‘Life’ on the Kingdom Disagreements that I try hard to disambiguate.
But with so many obs waiting for ID, I am struggling to understand why someone would choose to ID as Life.

Part of why I read Forum posts is to understand how and why we each use iNat differently. What am I missing? What am I doing wrong, because I didn’t understand?

To me Life = an organism that could be an genuine observation but it is unclear what it is.

Unknown = an observation that has no ID because the observer didn’t add one and that nobody has looked at yet.

If I come across an observation of a rock I’ll leave it at unknown as there is no other option, but I’ll add a comment or contact the observer so they can delete the observation.

I see adding any kind of ID (including life) as pushing an observation upstream, which to me means increasing the likelihood that it is seen by someone who can say something more about it.

You can mark observations of rocks as “no evidence of organism” in the Data Quality Assessment and that will move the observation to Casual.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.