Why is "no evidence of flowering" included in the chart?

Thanks to everyone who responded, I really appreciate it.

Reading the replies, the majority of people believe the “no evidence of flowering” value should be included on the chart, and that’s okay. For what it’s worth, I disagree with that conclusion for the following reason: “no evidence of flowering” is a negative trait while the other annotation values are positive traits. Conceptually, the negative trait obscures the positive traits. For clarity, only positive traits should be included on the time chart (or so I claim).

I double-checked the annotations shown in the chart. It turns out I added all (but one) of the “no evidence of flowering” values, so in that sense, I’m to blame :-) I will probably not apply that value during future annotation sprees.

I’m surprised that folks still interpret “no evidence of flowering” differently since the tooltip definition is reasonably clear: Media provides no evidence of reproductive structures. Staff have confirmed the previous definition in other discussion threads.

I’ve written this elsewhere but the Plant Phenology annotation may be interpreted as follows:

• Evidence of flowering?
    • No
    • Yes
      • Budding?
      • Flowering?
      • Fruiting?
      • Other

Unfortunately, the implementation does not permit “other” so there are many observations that simply can not be annotated.

2 Likes