Wild organisms cultured in a lab / additional photos?

We have collected some wild microcrustaceans and are attempting to culture them in aquaria (in a university lab). If we still have the same (wild) individuals in the lab, can we take additional photos with better resolution to help with identification?

3 Likes

Of course! If they grow or change significantly, I would suggest new, captive observations linked back to the original.

8 Likes

I had a similar question for dealing with organisms (galls) which I had collected while hiking and brought home to hatch and observe. The responses in that thread will probably answer your questions:

Seeking guidelines for hatched insect galls on plants, 2021-04-04

4 Likes

The cleanest procedure here is to make a wild observation at the date and time of capture. It makes sense to take clearer pictures once it’s captured and you can access better views/equipment. If there’s been little change in the organisms and little time has passed, just add the pic to the initial observation. If there’s been growth/change, it should be a fresh observation with updated time/location, marked captive, which can be linked from the original as supporting evidence of the ID.

5 Likes

Thanks - I’ve added new observations marked as “casual” / captive but linked to the initial observations. I’m reasonably sure they are the same individuals, though we are looking for reproduction as well.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.