Wild Turkeys Wreaking Havoc in the 'Burbs

Just thought this was in an interesting article on turkeys. I happen to like wild turkeys–they are still elusive in Northern PA , and I enjoy seeing them slip quietly back into the woods when spotted. I wouldn’t want to be attacked by one, but this article makes some excellent points about how we are the problem.

“When Turkeys Attack”

4 Likes

Interesting “observation.” As a boy in Arkansas in the 1960s, I never remember seeing wild turkey in the woods, and vaguely remember seeing them while riding in a car . . . but perhaps not. However, by the early 1990s, I would see them often while in the woods working for the US Forest Service. I blame this on hunters finally realizing they should obey the law as opposed, for example, stringing up hawks on barbed wire fences which was common then but almost non-existent now. Nevertheless, we seem to have enough hunters in this rural area to prevent turkeys from becoming too tame or even aggressive. However, like any wild animal, I can see it happening. The same for deer. They were rarely seen in the 1960s but are very common now and I know enough to not get in a fight with one, like a hunter who recently died from his injuries after wounding a deer in an adjoining county. He went to pick it up and it “came to life” and killed its attacker.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.