Word for Nature Trip

Moths go under my “lizards, leps and lichens” forays, L3. ;)

3 Likes

Yes! As a northerner, I harbor particular affection for the terminology of our Southern Hemisphere brethren :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

and sistren … altho ramble is a British word

4 Likes

Wildlifing - that’s what we have used for many years. Wildlifing.

4 Likes

Or just “wilding”.

3 Likes

Interesting… Here in NZ we use “wilding” in context of weedy pine species, eg “Wilding conifers”

2 Likes

Actually in the U.S, “wilding” has a negative connotation, i.e., going on a rampage, particularly by a gang of youths. Similar to hooliganism. But it would be nice to give it a positive meaning.

3 Likes

ah, that might be where we get our weedy pine use from then… at some temporal scale they will seem to be rampaging through the environment!

2 Likes

When I go looking for dragonflies I tell my SO I’m going dragon-hunting. He tells me it’s never as exciting as it sounds.

What about the word “biophilizing”, from “biophilia”? I haven’t used it myself, but it’s general enough to work for any type of flora or fauna, or any kind of habitat…

6 Likes

I don’t really have a word for it. I just go for walks or hikes and see what I can see.

Sometimes I’ll ask the kids if they want to go crittering with me, so I guess that’s close?

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! I like dragon hunting, gonna borrow that one!

1 Like

I’ve always loved "Hiking at the speed of ______ " (i.e. botany, mycology, ornithology)
Or insert any preferred ‘ology’.
“We’re going to hike at the speed of entomology!”

9 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

That’s going to be my mom’s favorite saying, I already know it, lol.

4 Likes

Thoreau liked to “saunter.”

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @jeffreymichalsbrown!

2 Likes

“Standing at the speed of soil ecology!” Welcome to the forum, @chrisalis!

4 Likes

I tell people I’m going on a walk and to take pictures. One friend who walks with me sometimes makes me promise not to take pictures during a certain part of the walk. But then she points out new things to me and asks questions, so I get to take pictures anyway. Our conversations frequently go like this:

Me: "I’m coming. Be there in a sec.” (she walks fast)
Her: “What’s that? Darn, I shouldn’t have asked that.”

6 Likes

I’m partial to the word ‘excursion’.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.