Yellow vs Green on inat maps meaning

Hello, sort of a silly question but one that has been vexxing me since I started using inat so I wanted to ask it. When an observation is brought up to RG, it highlights the county/state/territory/other region that it was found in. However, it sometimes colors it yellow and other times green, and I can’t seem to find any consistent pattern for why this is. Could someone explain this to me please?

Examples: Most of the US on this map is green, but two provinces in Canada are yellow:

Zooming in to the county level over the mid-atlantic states, most counties are green but a few yellow ones:

2 Likes

Yellow means someone has added the species to a list that indicates it occurs in that area, but there aren’t any research grade observations there. I don’t hear about this feature being used much any more and it maybe isn’t as useful now that there are so many iNat observations, but when the site was new it was a good way to fill out the range maps.

4 Likes

On a related note, where’d you go to find and edit checklists?

if you write the name of a place into the search bar and click ‘about’ on the place that comes up (assuming such a place exists), you get a screen like this

https://www.inaturalist.org/places/montpelier-vt-us

From there you can click ‘View Check List Page’ on the left side of the screen, then click Edit Taxa. To be honest i don’t see how to add new taxa, only to remove them or change establishment means. I haven’t used this functionality in a long time. It may be depreciated.

2 Likes

Useful, thank you!

To add taxa, click the “Add to List” button near the top right of the Check List page (not the “Edit Taxa” page).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.