You know you're seriously into iNat when

I disagree with your doctor. Brisk walking may have cardio benefits that slow walking does not, but since getting into nature walks in a big way about two years ago I can tell you my leg muscles are in the best shape of my life–and I recently turned 60! Just get a little faster walking, jogging or other cardio exercise in somewhere, preferable in a gym or an urban area where there are few distractions.

3 Likes

when you governor instates a stay-at-home executive order to contain COVID-19 and you say “Try me, I’m going iNat-ing.”

3 Likes

It’s important to follow the government and health authority directions. If you can go iNatting and still comply with those directives, then yes…

Perhaps the “seriously into” is ringing the helpline to clarify that iNatting is an “Essential Service” or perhaps “Necessary for personal wellbeing”

11 Likes
8 Likes

When there’re 20+ flies on the building wall and you understand you have to id them all.

13 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Following local restrictions/ safely iNatting during COVID 19

Drat! I cleaned the fridge last week because I was bored out of my mind. I should’ve photographed some of those “science projects” in the back of the shelf.

5 Likes

People you barely know introduce you to their friends as a “walking encyclopedia”.

8 Likes

You hold off on throwing things away specifically so you can watch the mold form and iNat it!

6 Likes

I keep trying to do that but either my mother or sister throw it out while I’m at work! :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

When is your birthday?
“I want a mini fridge, and for everyone to put the bad food in there instead of throwing it out.” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :laughing:

7 Likes

you agree and raise @star3 to, “I want a mini-fridge and freezer, for insects and seeds and a dedicated space for science experiments!” cries of, “Ahhh, wait those aren’t frozen fruit!” a thing of the past.

6 Likes

you’ve got ~78K IDs in the past 13 months

9 Likes

Can’t tell if this is facetious or not, but please follow the directives of any local authorities and shelter in place rules. Getting some iNat observations is not worth risking your health or the health of others.

19 Likes

Great video. But the one that popped up on my screen after it was done was even better. (No wildlife involved). https://www.facebook.com/BBCRadio6Music/videos/2974113559270490/?v=1952655818125581
Keep in mind, this has nothing to do with anything iNaturalist! Take it down if you may!

1 Like

Or you photograph this : https://www.facebook.com/BBCRadio6Music/videos/2974113559270490/?v=1952655818125581

1 Like

Seconding this, chances are you can find some neat things to identify on your property as well!

2 Likes

Not everyone has a “property”, though better stay at home than pay fines for being caught.

4 Likes

I think this might be a translation issue. Property in American English doesn’t always refer to a specific minimum volume (when being used in conversation not legally) of space and sometimes is casually used to describe a residential space or area when actual ownership isn’t relevant as in: the property. I think @thetorterra is agreeing that staying in and safe is a good idea and that one can find neat things right under our noses.

I am lucky to live in a rural area so going out of doors poses no risk as my neighbors can barely see me let alone catch my germs! Everyone, let’s stay safe and if we want to continue discussing safe protocols check out this fun topic: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/following-local-restrictions-safely-inatting-during-covid-19/11059 Sorry if I misinterpreted either comment. Just trying to get back to how seriously we’re all into iNat:

like,

you’re scheming how to offer the workshop on iNat that will probably be cancelled for May 2nd into an online live virtual tour of my backyard and recruit someone here to be your tech person…eh? anyone? :grimacing: :laughing:

10 Likes

Yes, this is what I meant, thank you! There’s usually stuff in nooks and crannies you can check out. For example, in my apartment in Vermont, I’ll poke around in the “driveway” under wood, stones, etc and find some pretty neat stuff while making sure to spread germs as little as possible. You can always try taking pictures of things through windows, too, if possible.

4 Likes