You know you're seriously into iNat when

You don’t want to live in south Texas. CLOUDS of them in summer/fall. And they don’t seem to mind the spray, at least in my case.

2 Likes

What about such conditions? :D https://ok.ru/video/86992489177
https://youtu.be/__d1xUmbV-g

1 Like

Exactly. And trying to remember latin name of the iris, which is painted on a bottle of shampoo :)

11 Likes

That YouTube link says mosquitoes, but those look like bees. They’re huge!

1 Like

Wow, not exactly that bad, lol. Now I won’t complain as nearly much. That is crazy!

Hey, I proudly posted the evidence of my run-in with a Portuguese Man o’ War. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/4833025

8 Likes

People just call everything with one name.) On youtube vid those are horseflies, all of them. They’re attracted by heat, I’m frightened of the big ones, but that feature makes them look a little bit dumb flies, especially when they actually try to bite a building wall beause of its heat, or a car as on this video.

@bug_girl I’ve only been in Karelia and we have quite a lot of mosquitos there (Culicidae) at summer, but further north and east you go more gnats you get and as people say there was a “tradition” in tundras and the whole Siberia to leave people naked in the woods so all Diptera just kill them, I guess more by anaphylactic shock.

2 Likes

Cool! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Yikes! Looks pretty though.

…you eyes are automatically drawn to look to the side when you walk by building walls.

10 Likes

shifty look

Uh how do you get that info? I may be slightly competitive.

3 Likes

On main page choose your county for location and the there will be tab with observers.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @lisefrac (and to my enjoyable ridiculous thread!)

2 Likes

Thanks! Been on iNat a while, but just joined the forums.

2 Likes

then you’re clearly “Seriously into iNat!” :)

5 Likes
  • Someone helping you with blowing away leaves indicates they saw a copperhead snake under the leaves, and your first reaction is ‘where, can i see?’

• you then tell them you’ve never encountered a copperhead, but you list all the other snakes you’ve encountered.

• you mentally guess it was not a copperhead, because there’s just too many snakes that get mistaken for poisonous ones around the area

• … you don’t even think about it when going into the woods days later

(Thankfully they said they blew it away with the blower into the woods, so it’s safe)

6 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t3:

Leaf blower=bad Poisonous snake= good! (relativism)

…people’s usernames (iNaturalists you’ve never met) somehow wind up in a dream you can’t remember. I don’t know the context of what organism I needed ID mid-snore but, I am seriously into iNat, so.

11 Likes

I know right? Crazy.

5 Likes

My brother announced he was going out to mow the grass on Saturday.

I said, “No! Please! It’s City Nature Challenge this weekend and a BioBlitz next Sunday. I need to document those weeds.”

So I get to document the weeds. But I also have to mow the yard next week.

19 Likes

Same thing happened to me, only it was a weasel on my road, and some animal dragged it away somewhere.

5 Likes