You know you're seriously into iNat when

…I let blood suckers, such as mosquitoes, flies and ticks, have a meal on me so I can have their pics.

9 Likes

Wow, not there yet!

You get careless while observing (and foraging) wild dewberries, and wind up with a poison ivy rash on your face so bad that one eye almost swells shut, so you take it as an opportunity to start making a lot of audio observations through the app recorder.

8 Likes

Ticks? You mean you want to get Laime disease or something not less dangerous (tick-borne encephalitis is not a worldwide thing, but hell) to have an observation for iNat? Don’t do it, please.

9 Likes

Also, after the forum discussion on hypothetical covid-19 septum observations, you have a brief internal debate about posting your poison ivy rash as an observation.

5 Likes

you consider buying an android (just) because, what!!??!!??!! that app has a recorder in it? and stockpiling audio obs on your iphone that you have no idea how to put on the website is less fun.

3 Likes

I send those to discord and download via laptop, it’sweird the app can’t use those files right from the memory.

2 Likes

I uploaded this observation of a rat bite when I got the chance!
(It was a feed rat with a clean bill of health, don’t worry!)

5 Likes

I’m allergic to mosquitoes so I can’t let that happen. It’s not a pretty sight when my face swells up, luckily my reaction doesn’t constrict my breathing so there’s that.

2 Likes

You don’t want to live in south Texas. CLOUDS of them in summer/fall. And they don’t seem to mind the spray, at least in my case.

2 Likes

What about such conditions? :D https://ok.ru/video/86992489177
https://youtu.be/__d1xUmbV-g

1 Like

Exactly. And trying to remember latin name of the iris, which is painted on a bottle of shampoo :)

11 Likes

That YouTube link says mosquitoes, but those look like bees. They’re huge!

1 Like

Wow, not exactly that bad, lol. Now I won’t complain as nearly much. That is crazy!

Hey, I proudly posted the evidence of my run-in with a Portuguese Man o’ War. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/4833025

8 Likes

People just call everything with one name.) On youtube vid those are horseflies, all of them. They’re attracted by heat, I’m frightened of the big ones, but that feature makes them look a little bit dumb flies, especially when they actually try to bite a building wall beause of its heat, or a car as on this video.

@bug_girl I’ve only been in Karelia and we have quite a lot of mosquitos there (Culicidae) at summer, but further north and east you go more gnats you get and as people say there was a “tradition” in tundras and the whole Siberia to leave people naked in the woods so all Diptera just kill them, I guess more by anaphylactic shock.

2 Likes

Cool! Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Yikes! Looks pretty though.

…you eyes are automatically drawn to look to the side when you walk by building walls.

10 Likes

shifty look

Uh how do you get that info? I may be slightly competitive.

3 Likes