You know you're seriously into iNat when

On main page choose your county for location and the there will be tab with observers.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, @lisefrac (and to my enjoyable ridiculous thread!)

2 Likes

Thanks! Been on iNat a while, but just joined the forums.

2 Likes

then you’re clearly “Seriously into iNat!” :)

5 Likes
  • Someone helping you with blowing away leaves indicates they saw a copperhead snake under the leaves, and your first reaction is ‘where, can i see?’

• you then tell them you’ve never encountered a copperhead, but you list all the other snakes you’ve encountered.

• you mentally guess it was not a copperhead, because there’s just too many snakes that get mistaken for poisonous ones around the area

• … you don’t even think about it when going into the woods days later

(Thankfully they said they blew it away with the blower into the woods, so it’s safe)

6 Likes

:woman_facepalming:t3:

Leaf blower=bad Poisonous snake= good! (relativism)

…people’s usernames (iNaturalists you’ve never met) somehow wind up in a dream you can’t remember. I don’t know the context of what organism I needed ID mid-snore but, I am seriously into iNat, so.

11 Likes

I know right? Crazy.

5 Likes

My brother announced he was going out to mow the grass on Saturday.

I said, “No! Please! It’s City Nature Challenge this weekend and a BioBlitz next Sunday. I need to document those weeds.”

So I get to document the weeds. But I also have to mow the yard next week.

19 Likes

Same thing happened to me, only it was a weasel on my road, and some animal dragged it away somewhere.

5 Likes

Yes! A couple of times on Nevis, West Indies, when I have been on my hands and knees searching for small marine mollusks shells, very kind Four Seasons staff people have come and asked me if I needed help, because they figured I had lost a valuable earring or a contact lens.

14 Likes

You create an iNat specific bumper sticker in your mind wishing you had it now to explain your behavior:

Not drunk! This driver is stopping, swerving and going slowly in middle of the night to document, cross and enjoy wildlife. Join iNaturalist, be a cool weirdo, Do it!!!

Probably too long? :)

11 Likes

Caution: iNatting in progress (with a logo)?

10 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Forage discussion

also see: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/i-would-like-an-inat-hat/1186 !

1 Like

when your husband comes in to announce that there is a wolf spider on the porch and do I need to photograph it before he moves it…or…your sister moves into a new house and you’re helping her move and find out landscapers will be there in an hour to mow the front and you tell her that you need to take a break

9 Likes

Living life, one observation at a time. (insert INat logo)

12 Likes

you inspired me:

you dispatch the lunar and Gregorian calendars in favor of using an all iNat based time-keeping system. It’s been 3 observations since the ellychnia influx of the era of iNat update # (_____) and I’m thinking I’ll make that life change in about 20 CIDs or fifty Gerald comments

12 Likes

Or the first observation you ever posted become day O of a new era. No more AD and BC, now it is BIN (before INat) and AIN (after INat).

14 Likes

…you hate yourself for listening to your mom and deleting “unnecessary” photos of flowers, bugs and trees you took on family vacations when you were a child because “what if I’ll never come back to Croatia/Greece/Mallorca again and won’t ever be able to make observations of all the plants I’ve seen there??”

…you decide to start running regularly instead of going on walks and tell everyone it’s because you’re trying to get your life together, but in reality you do it to get faster to more distant places outside the town which lack iNat observations.

17 Likes

also, how could I forget the iconic:
…you happened to stand on an anthill twice in a week but you don’t even care because you found a new lifer.

7 Likes